Easy/cheap 12V upgrades?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my work we have a '97 F800 that has a 17' flatbed, liftgate, 160 hp 12V cummins and 4 speed allison.

Our head office in Ohio just bought a truck almost identical to ours, except without a liftgate, from the same place we got our truck a couple years ago. This particular truck has the 210hp 12V in it.

I got to take that truck out for a drive and holy crap, does that extra 50 hp make a difference! Ours is a slug, even unloaded.

My question is...I know there are fuel plates out there for the 12V...can I get one that will give us 50 hp (or more?) for $200 or less? Or, what else can be done? The truck has a wastegated HX35, and it's intercooled...I don't want to try doing anything with the exhaust. It looks like it already has a 3" or 3.5" downpipe, a huge muffler, and 4" exhaust that dunps right behind the cab.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so here's another question....if we did the 100 hp way would it smoke a lot? How bad would that impact fuel mileage, that big truck will actually pull down 10-12 mpg right now.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
It might cook the transmission! If it has the non-lockup AT542 or AT545 I expect, that is NOT a strong transmission.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really care about your question but you are neglecting some major things first and foremost-KDP- killer dowel pin FIRST! Then do the trans, built auto then start playing with the "other stuff" that's my 2c