East bound and down - with trailer

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, down is a relative thing, probably cruising at 65 or so... and I don't have a Trans-Am blocker...
I am heading from Utah to Connecticut via South Dakota, Chicago, Detroit, probably thru Canada to Niagara falls, upstate NY and finally down to Connecticut. I am leaving on friday and have about a week to make the trip and see a few sights along the way.
First off, anyone have reports of diesel prices in those areas? just curious to see what I will be paying along the way.. These are the times I wish I had set up for running on grease and had a tankful in the back, oh well, on the other hand the old girl just runs like a top on regular diesel and never seems to have filter issues...
I am towing an empty trailer (6x10 enclosed) east, so if anyone has something they need transported somewhere along that route let me know, I will only ask for a little to offset fuel costs if it is more or less on my way. If I had known I was going to have the trailer earlier I would have advertised it earlier, but I just got things settled this weekend..
I think I have prepped everything as best as can be, and have spares for alot of stuff, so I expect all will go well....
JwS

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in case you don't know it, a passport is required to go thru Canada now. Fuel prices are close to the same all over, figure on about $4+/gallon. You can figure your route in MapQest and copy/paste and post it here, just in case you have trouble, lots of members on your way for any needed help. Good luck on the trip.

This will give you an idea of fuel prices. http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Mi around I-94 in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area you will see prices around the 4.00-4.30 per gallon.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is said that when you reenter the states, the checkpoint guys can confiscate your laptop, or hard drive and you don't get it back for a few weeks...

IF I'm wrong on this, please somebody correct me on this...

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, good tip there, I might not have thought of taking my passport with me!
I have been figuring at least $4 per gallon, which is what it is around here, but half hoping it would be a little less... The good thing is that at $4 an additional 10 or 20 cents doesn't make too much difference percentage wise...
I have more important stuff on my phone than on my laptop.. I would guess that they could theoretically do that at any border crossing, but I bet it doesn't happen too much.. and there are hiding places in my van that even I haven't figured out yet (if I get nervous)
JwS

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its about 129.9 in niagara falls area right now, thats $ 1.29/l. For the border thing I found its better to go through truck crossings...but thats vancouver_seattle. They changed the rules recently so you can bring more stuff duty free from the states. But I uno about the other end. Anyway, drive safe and be sure to go on the maid of the mist tour at niagra falls