Early sidewinder E4OD to ZF5 differences?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
judging by the steady stream of ATF pouring from the pump seal on my E4ohno i'm assuming it's telling me its had enough..... :puke: i noticed on the banks site there's different listings between the auto and stick kits. will i be able to swap a ZF5 without having an issue with the turbo?:confused:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I *think* the only difference is that the auto version comes with a transcommand and a different dipstick tube for the trans.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I *think* the only difference is that the auto version comes with a transcommand and a different dipstick tube for the trans.

X 2!

That is true with the wastegated version at least. I suspect there is zero difference in the plumbing for the early Banks system as well.....

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Actually the early Banks kits are trans specific. The ZF's have a deeper bell housing that the E4DOA's.
I had to do some serious exhaust rework to get the exhaust to work on mine.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As said above, the early ones that route the up pipe on the driver's side are different between auto & stick. The manual bracket comes back about 1/2" further and then drops down to allow clearance for the thickness of the manual bellhousing.

The later type use a cast y-pipe on the passenger side that hugs the aft face of the block and shouldn't have any clearance issues. I do know you have to cut one of the 'ears' off the zf-5 case for clearance but that's not hard.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early banks non gated sidewinder on my truck now that was out of an auto. Mine has the zf in it and i paid a local shop to custom make the uppipe so it would work. My firewall took a beating and i had to put my reverse lights on a toggle because the harness is on the drivers side of the trans. It works well and it isnt squished like the banks one is. From the picture i got from banks with manual kit the uppipe goes up on passenger side.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Never posted a pic of the turbo kit i have. it's this one:

You must be registered for see images

is this style still a pain in the ass?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, like stated, that's the new wastegated style. The plumbing is the same regardless of the transmission.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08