E4od weak 2-3 upshift

chumwon

Reaction score
Since I first got my 92 dually running the one thing to some what brag about was the good soild shifts all the way through the gears. I noticed slowly with more weight and power it wouldn't be nearly as soild of shifts, which is to be expected I suppose. But within the last few days my 2-3 upshift is weak an drawn out for a second...there are times it isn't quite as bad and I can notice the TC locking just after it. But when it's weak an drawn out you don't notice the TC...the 4-3 downshift seems fine...

I'm not a transmission pro at all but this doesn't seem good to me and I fear the worst of needing a rebuild... I've checked most the basics as in fliud was changed a while back with new filter, tps is within spec, fliud level and smell are decent, no codes, connections and grounds look good but haven't been cleaned out or greased yet..

I'm stumped and bummed while still trying to baby her around. I hope someone might be able to tell me about a solenoid pack or something minor in the valve body I may be able to do myself. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

chumwon

Reaction score
Check the line pressure.
The shift valve could be hanging up in the accumulator body.
There could be an issue with the direct clutch. If you have issues with reverse, The direct clutch is failing.

I don't believe that reverse is skipping a beat at all. May I ask how you go about checking line pressure? Like fitting a "t" somewhere in line... and what kind of numbers am I looking for? Thanks alot trackspeeder I really do appreciate the input!!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Sounds like the valve is hanging up in the accumulator body. There might be some crud or the springs are tangled or broken. If there was an issue with the direct clutch, reverse would be failing too.

To do a pressure test. you will need a gauge, hose and a fitting for the test port. You will find the test port just above the pan rail, left side. I'm having a brain fart, so I will have to dig up the pressure numbers.

chumwon

Reaction score
Ahhh I forgot about that port! Was eyeing that up once before for possible trans temp gauge!

It does seem like it could be something sticking or hanging up because it's just the one upshift and it's 50-50 on weather it'll be a soild shift or if it hesitates an draws out.

On a side note, I've been paying more attention to shifts an TC lock up. My diag. lead me to notice that when it shifted bad you wouldn't feel TC locking up..and that it mostly always locks up after 3rd but it seems to lock up mid 2nd sometimes aswell.. I don't know if this is significant info but thought I'd share. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online