E4od troubles

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having some trouble with my tranny. When it is hot it takes a long time to drop into forward or reverse. Not for sure why. When it is cold it drops in gear like it is supposed to. I have also noticed that if I pull a load up a hill or do a lot of idling my transmission temperature will go over 200 and when this happens it doesn't want to shift out of first. It will shift but you have to baby it. I was leaning towards installing a larger tranny cooler with an electric fan that I could turn on when it gets hot. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i have heard that the delayed engagement of the trans is the nature of the best with a stock trans in these. don't bother with the electric fan. just go with a larger cooler. i just got a tru cool max cooler from dieselsite.com and it works great. it dropped my trans temps a solid 60*F.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty amazing drop in temperature. I was leaning towards a unit that was a little over a $100 and rated for 30K pounds. I didn't think it was was bad with the fan included. Might have to look at the tru cool max

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well darn. i would give you the link to my install and the link to where i got my cooler from but apparently we can't post links right now.if you search my profile for my past threads you will see my cooler thread. then go to dieselsite.com and the cooler should show up on the home page, if not got to the transmission category on their site.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
You sure you didn't mean 160 degrees instead of 60? 60 would require an ambient temp of 60 or less and it is summer... OAN, I have dual 10K trans coolers and my truck rarely gets to 160 and only when I'm towing my travel trailer loaded up after an hour of constant driving.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
it DROPPED my trans temps about 60*F.i have yet to get higher than 160*F at the pan driving in stop and go traffic in 100*F ambient temps.my temps now are anywhere from 140 to 160.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
BTW, sorry about not having any spaces in between my sentences. i think something is going on with the forum right now, b/c even when i go back and edit the post multiple time it does not change any thing.EDIT, ***? this post worked fine. edit #2, the first edit didn't work right lol.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My temperatures run in the 180 range normally but if I am pulling a load or idle a lot when it is hot I have seen 210. It would make me very nervous except for it not wanting to shift and the tranny is marginal at best.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Yeah 210 is too high for sure. You can majorly increase the life of your transmission by keeping the fluid down around that 160 mark.

PS: Sorry Eric...I completely misread what you said.... duh....lol

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that settles it I need to get an additional cooler Ther factory one is pretty tiny. Also does anyone know what size and thread lines the e4od takes. I was looking at the tubing job someone did on my cooler lines at the tranny and the 90 degree bends are pretty flat.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the tranny cooler. I ordered the same cooler you did and it lowered my temperatures by 40 degrees when towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online