E4OD TOT sensor

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of a bad TOT (transmission oil temperature) sensor? What is involved to replace the sensor? Thanks.

Dave

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Symtoms will be (cold tranny), it will shift from second directly into overdrive; regardless is you have OD cancelled out or not. Once the trans warms up to temp, it will shift normal. The sensor is located in the solenoid pack of the trans and its best/cheapest to replace the entire pack. To do that, you must drop the pan(thats the worst part) and remove about 12 bolts or so and remove the solenoid pack. And the solenoid pack is the first thing you see when you look up into the guts of the trans. not a big deal to replace it, and they are usually about $130.

Been there, done that!!

Have fun!!!!

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those symptoms don't describe my problem at all but I do have a fault code 26 "Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Input Out Of Self Test Range". I've done some reading and most of the time corroded terminals are the cause of a code 26. I'll check that first.

Thanks for you input. The more knowledge we share, the easier repairs are to make.

Dave

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Always check the big harness plug on the passenger side of the tranny. It actually plugs into the solenoid pack. ALL wires must be in tact and a clean connection is a must. A dirty plug will create havok!!! Stay posted.