E4OD tailshaft leak

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, sorry to be a dope... But ever since i did the rear main seal on the engine, for some reason now the rear seal on the tranny leaks. Now sure what i did to it to make it leak.

Anyway, I've admitantly never done anything with trannys by way of any work on them. Do I really just need to replace the rear seal that I can see on the end of the transmission where the slip yoke goes into it? Is that actually what does the sealing? Or is there another seal up in there that actually seals it? I ask because the seal on the outside just seemed like a dust shield to me and never really looked like a tight seal. After looking around online though, it would seem this is the only seal... Do you just pull it out and press in a new one?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe there's the dust seal on the end, then the bushing sleeve thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, sorry to be a dope... But ever since i did the rear main seal on the engine, for some reason now the rear seal on the tranny leaks. Now sure what i did to it to make it leak.

Might have done nothing at all. Or if you pulled the yoke and had a spec of dirt get in there, it may have torn the seal. Really doesn't take much sometimes. Cleanliness is important. Also have good lighting under the truck so you can do a good final inspection before reinstalling the slip yoke.

Anyway, I've admitantly never done anything with trannys by way of any work on them. Do I really just need to replace the rear seal that I can see on the end of the transmission where the slip yoke goes into it?

Yup. Use a seal puller if you have one. Otherwise a small sharp flat head screw driver should be able to dig it out by the flange.

Is that actually what does the sealing? Or is there another seal up in there that actually seals it? I ask because the seal on the outside just seemed like a dust shield to me and never really looked like a tight seal. After looking around online though, it would seem this is the only seal... Do you just pull it out and press in a new one?

Yup. Just pull it out and whack a new one in.

Some seals have the extra dust shield while others have only a regular shaft seal. The dust shield is just some extra protection for the seal, and doesn't actually hold any fluid.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the butt end of the truck up in the air to reduce tranny fluid losses out the back of the tranny.

Mark driveshaft at pinion companion flange and unbolt. Unbolt center bearing, and pull the whole driveshaft out. It's not a terrible job, overall.

Check the end of the driveshaft for grooves, burrs, rust, etc. Feel free to clean it up with emery cloth or around 600 grit sandpaper.

Give the inside of the new seal a dab of ATF so the shaft slides in nice.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the rear seal leaks, it's more than likely the bushing has worn.
You can pull the rear extension housing off. You'll need a new gasket, seal and probably the bushing.

You would do well to have a transmission shop do the work. They should have the seal puller and install tools. They may do the work if you take just the extension to them.

If the bushing is badly worn, check the u-joint and center support bearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08