E4OD - Sonnax vs Transgo tugger

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have any experience or know, I've been thinking of going with the Sonnax valve/tricumulator springs or the Transgo Tugger shift kit. I've talked to a couple of trans guys, and they say the Tugger kit is the way to go. What do you think? I put a Ford reman in the truck earlier this year. I'm not necessarily interested in voiding my warranty, but I'd like firmer shifts. Looks like it's only $50 more to go with the Tugger, and I would install it myself. I don't tow that often, but I do have a 5ver that grosses out at just over 10k.

Thanks,
Fozz

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
I had the trans shop put a tugger kit in my trans when it was rebuilt and it shifts alot better now! You might want to look at an electronic pressure riser so you can turn it off and on when needed.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tugger kit in my 4r100 in my SuperDuty and am very pleased with it. I didn't do the pump mods included with the tugger kit. Mods for the pump that can't be done with the trans in the truck. So most people just do the valve body mods.
I've heard the Sonnax valve and springs work well but IMO the tugger is a more complete modification.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Go with the Tugger kit. More involved than a spring kit, but it's worth it.
Another kit to look at is the Sonnax Sure Cure kit. Same as the Tugger kit but some of the parts are better.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, just gathering info right now. I'll probably do something next year with it (maybe a Xmas present ;)).

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i wonder what the difference is between the b&m shift kit and the tugger. i have the b&m one in now and the shifting is very quick. the kit came with towing and racing springs so i did the towing one. it also came with a resistor to splice inline with one of the wires going to the trans which i understood it to be telling the trans it was cold so it would shift harder too. turns out that that resistor made my od light blink all the time and it took me about 3 months to narrow it down to that stupid resistor.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Trans Go here, I didn't do the pump mod but still have all the stuff to do it down the road if I want. We put a Sonnax in my buddy's truck & it just shifted too hard for our liking.