e4od slipping like a greased monkey

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
,,the reverse was grabby to the point it stalled the engine.

Something is messed up with the torque converter clutch and/or its circuit. There is no way putting the transmission into reverse (or any gear for that matter) should stall the engine. The torque converter clutch must be engaging or dragging or something in order to stall the engine. In a correctly functioning transmission, torque converter slippage at engine idle speed is what keeps the engine from stalling when the transmssion is put into gear.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't reuse the torque converter. The clutches in that are burned up. Thats what caused the engine to stall at idle. As posted. There is or was something wrong with the converter or the signal it was getting. Both of those problems will need to be sloved before the new rebuild is run. Or the same issues may happen again. Did you do the rebuild or a shop...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny that you bring up the dome lite on whiles in reverse... Both the dome lite and the trans fuse are on the came circut. Yeasr ago a member had his trans go into limp home mode and the dome lite went out.. Truns out his children had sat on the roof of the crewcab. the weight pressed down on the stel liner till it touched the screws that holds the dome lite to the top of the cab roof. That gounded out the circut. Replaced the fuse and all was good. Removed the screws and ground them down so they would not go all the way thru the dome lite... Odd repairs I guess.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
just to clearify the transmission was a ford rebuild with 80,000 miles ,worked perfect ,disassembled it to install a 4x 4 out putt shaft ,with new gaskets ect ..the one thing i noticed when i had it apart was a melted plastic thrust ,i did not have the new thrust for this steel planetary so i used the aluminum one with the steel thrust /see photo also replaced the hub with a perfect one..

Your local transmission shop or Ford will have the correct thrust washer. Definitely use the steel gear set. You might want to replace the sun shell too. From the extra notch in the shell, and a ***** thrust washer. This tranny wasn't assembled correctly.

Take a look at the front pump. Low pressure will cause the converter to lock up in reverse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin