E4OD Shifting High / Erratic

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm a bit stumped on what to do next with this e4od :mad:....

I've searched around, seen the same problem, but no real solution for it.

I've had this truck for a bit, put about 20k miles on it since owned, always shifted ok, short shifted a bit, but ok. Back in october i replaced the FIPL sensor and it was great till a few days ago.

Took off on a light, truck went up 1st gear, and instead of shifting to 2nd, it just free revved. After that it would hold the gears all the way to redline, would only shift when letting off a bit.

Changed out the FIPL, set it to spec, triple checked, was normal for the first 20 miles and then started holding the gears all the way to 2500-3000 rpm and not wanting to shift into OD. Light blinked and i pulled the codes, mainly saying low voltage from all the sensors.

Now, i've changed the VSS, changed out all the terminals, as mine were pretty worn out/corroded, reset the tcm and it's still holding the gears to high rpms and OD "sticking". The trans position sensor is pretty new along with the rpm sensor with only about 10-15k miles.

One thing i noticed is, when i first start it and drive for the first mile or two, it shifts just fine, after that it starts doing the BS again.

Any hints on what the problem might be?!?!?!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hows that big harness plug doing on the passenger side of the trans? Is it in good shape? are the contacts all clean and free of grease/oil? Please take a min and check it out before looking elsewhere. I have gone through hell with those plugs before.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the TOT (Transmission Oil Temperature) is intermittent or the contacts (connector) are dirty, loose or corroded. The EEC-IV relay, dirty contacts. Watch your Tach for intermittent. Corroded/loose connector pins on any of the cables..

Did nyou pull any codes? If so what were they?

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i guess what i need to replace is my volt meter.........cookoo....

Went out in the driveway to fuss a bit more, set the FIPL to where the meter was showing 9.5-9.6V, had it set at 1.1 idle,and now the thing shifts perfect. Guess the meter is reading a bit low :confused:.

Thanks guys, been a few days of fighting the thing for such a stupid fix, hahaha!

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It feels SO GOOD to have a properly shifting E4od after fighting with it!!!! Been there, done that.

Yup, except i don't think shes done messing with me. After a few days of shifting great it now whines when under load.

From what i read the TQ or the pump might be on their way out. Not sure if i wanna mess with it some more, or just look for a Zf. I do enjoy driving with an auto, but im tired of its issues....

Anyone can confirm? Also if its just a converter, whats a good one for it?

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, little update, trans gave up, shes done for. I'm looking for a zf5 swap for it now, if any of the FL guys know of some, or any parts trucks you can pm me or post here. Bought a van for the mean time, but after 4 days i already miss driving my truck :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online