E4OD Rebuild time...

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
This is the last thing I wanted to happen but.... I'm 90% sure its time for this transmission to be rebuilt (It was rebuilt less than 10k ago but the PO drove it with the trans cooler clogged up, the fluid was way too thin and a bad tach sensor plus the TPS is off). All in all the transmission lasted way longer than it should have! Ok now I have heard of a couple people buyin racerX's "performance" rebuild kit... I need to know a price! I already know how much the shift kit is gonna cost me http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4R100-HD2/ so now I need to know how much I need total. I will also be running a deeper pan and bigger trans cooler. Thank you all in advance ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really price of parts is not the main concern. There were many upgrades/changes to the E4OD over the years, if it is the 93 model year you have, most of the changes where probably made. To do a complete overhaul, it takes some special tools to do the removal/installation of the clutch packs, they are expensive. The clutch packs are not the only parts to be concerned with. Upgrades, center support, thrust bearings from bronze to Torrington bearings, Sprags and etc. You should have a ASTG manual to do an overhaul. For the correct parts, be sure and have the info off the tranny tag.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Are you SURE that the wiring is all OK??? That big plug on the passenger side of the trans can create real crazy symptoms. I though that my last E4oD was dead to until I finally got that wiring sorted out.
And I don't think a deeper pan will help out with anything. IMHO. But it is always nice to upgrade to a pan with a drain plug. Just take the

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the cooler was clogged, plan on replacing the gear sets. They can be damaged with low lube. You want to look for discoloration of the gears. Damage to the carrier. If you have aluminum carriers, toss them. Buy new steel carrier planets. This will add about $300. to the bill.

Add about $600 bucks for a good converter from RacerX.;Really

Save your money on the pan. Unless you want a fancy pan. The oversized pans don't do anything. The only pan upgrade that I would recomend is from the 4R100. The 4R pan comes with a reusable gasket and is equipped with a drain plug. ;Sweet No more ATF showers.:eek::rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle