E4OD Quetions

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
I have a 1994 f250 4x4 with 7.3 IDIT and E4OD trans. I have been having trouble with the shifting and the OD light is blinking. When the light is blinking it still seems to go through all of the gears but shifts very late and very hard. I took it to a local trans shop and had the pull the codes for me but I do not know what they mean or what is required as a fix for each code. Any help you guys could give would be great. By the way my FIPL is set at 1.1v at idle and4.5 at WOT and the VSS is about 1500 ohms. The codes are as follows;

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.

when the light is flashing like that and shifting hard the trans is in limp mode. it is HIGHLY RECOMENDED to not drive it like that.

23-most likely the shop did not hold the throttle pedal at WOT for the entire scan prosess. nothing to be worried about there.
29-insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor. (VSS)
43-Throttle position sensor(TPS/FIPL) below idle spec.
63-throttle position circuit fault, below minimum voltage and/or FIPL sensor input is less than self test minimum.

when you checked the setting for your TPS did the voltage change steadily or was it jumping around as throttle position changed. i would try adjusting the tps and see if the codes go away and the trans works.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. The TPS seems to be really steady but it was hard to get the correct voltage because of it moving when tightening. The original sensor was jumping around a little so I changed it out. I tried to set it a little high and drop it by 0.04 volts at a time starting at about 1.3 but it did not seem to help or hurt the shifting.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
I think maybe I have the problem solved but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I pulled out the guage cluster to check for bad connection or some place the "magic smoke" fell out of. I did not see anything wrong but I cleaned out all of the dirt and dust and wiped down all of the connectors and when I put it back together everything is magically ok. Maybe just a bad connection at the PSOM? Not sure but I sure hope so. Thanks for the help.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Ok the problem came back (thought it would) and the trans is back to not shifting right and the e4od is flashing again. I am getting dtc 50 with KOER. I do not list this alarm code in my repair manual does anyone know what this trouble code means?

1994 f250 4X4 with E4OD,
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Go simple ....

I would replace the speed sensor on the top of the rear differential
and spray electrical cleaner on the wiring harness connection
before re-attachment

If you have not done it yet, drop the pan & do a complete