E4OD Question

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you did was pay to have the transmission rebuilt then the electronic problems are not covered under the rebuild warranty... Nor would transmission failure caused by the electronic problems.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What are the available upgrades?

Gary

Factory upgrades are a friction a steel added to the low reverse drum. Updated sprag. Improved tranny pump. But you can do better in the gear train. This is the after market stuff for the E4OD. Hardened shell. Steel 6 planet gear sets. Add many more frictions and steels. Best bang for the buck TransGo Tugger kit and a multi disk torque converter.;Sweet ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the available upgrades?

Gary

Enough to fill a book as big as the overhaul manual, and thats just the ford updates. Then you have the aftermarket upgrades to think about.....

There are dozens of changes and revisions that should be considered when overhauling an E4OD. If the rebuild is planned right, it will make the transmission completely bullet proof. If not, you will get another few years out of it. FYI, the steel gears and hardened shell are available through the aftermarket, but are in fact ford updates designed and engineered by FoMoCo.

gsgIDI,

I'm not quite clear on your reply, is the transmission still under warranty? it is possible that the computer is the cause of this and unfortunately, it can't be tested except to replace it with a "known good" computer, as the manual would say. You should also know that $1700 is on the low side for a transmission rebuild especially if they pulled and reinstalled it for you. So thats some good news.

It begs the question of who would pay for the new computer if that were in fact NOT the problem. You certainly should not be responsible for the cost of parts you don't need.

Sounds like your second mechanic could be a keeper. I have NEVER had a mechanic ever make a courtesy call after doing work on any of my vehicles. Very rare indeed.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi david85
The computer was just replaced by the second shop. The tranny shop gave me a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on the rebuild. The tranny shop pulled the transmission and replaced it, I saw what I was told was my tranny all apart on the work bench by the tranny shop owner. He rebuilt it himself did not leave it to the other shop hands in the shop to rebuild. Thanks for responding to my questions. Jack the other shop owner is a considerate person who checks on his customers feedback about the work done in his shop. He has called me on my other vehicles as well to check on work that was done in his shop. gsgIDI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance