E4OD question for the pro's

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
My 93 250 I bought years ago was originally a 5 speed from the factory. A friend of mine had the exact same truck but his was an e4od. He wanted the manual and I wanted the auto. So we parked the side by side and swapped. The only difference in the trucks was mine is 3.55 and his is 4.10. The e4od he said was rebulit by a guy in our area that was real good with the e4od specificly. And I rode with him pulling a gooseneck at about 10,000 lbs total trailer. And it shifted good. Now eversince the swap which has been about 4 years ago. The trans has always slammed in gear. And seemed to hold a gear to long and down shift to soon. I have set the FLPS properly and checked it several times. But it slams in to gear so hard that it makes the dash shake. Could it be programming in the pcm.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. I have set the FLPS properly and checked it several times.

That don't say much.

What voltage have you set it at with a warm engine and at idle position?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your FIPL voltage is on the high side. Even digital VOM's can be off a little. Try bringing the voltage down to the lower setting or some where in between. All E4OD's shift a little different due to pump pressure variations and a host of other things to do with the control valve body, that's why there is a voltage range to set the FIPL.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How far down can I go.

Setting is from or between. .96 to 1.2 VDC. It's like trial and error, set it at the lowest voltage see how it shifts, then raidse it if it's too soft a shift, raise by a . 98 --1.0--1.01--1.02 and so on, til you like the shifting.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try 1.0 V and see how you like it. Any less than that I'd be running with a line pressure gauge in the cab just to make sure it doesn't go too low and start slipping.

Bit offtopic, but personally I like knowing what the E4OD is doing at any given time - that means a temp gauge in the hot line out the converter, a pressure gauge in the test port in the case, and an indicator LED for the lockup. Not mandatory, but nice things to have. Mostly cause of the bad rap the E4OD has, and how easy it is to smoke one if you don't catch it on time (and how expensive it is ti have it rebuild and how hard it seems to be finding a place that does a good job). Keep in mind that I do actually like these transmissions.

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
So its basically like seting the old vacuum valve for the c6. And I didn't know you could permanently tap a trans pressure gauge in. I thought that was just for testing. I figured a flexable line would act as an acumulator and effect shifting

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
I just thought of this what if the signal voltage from the potentiometer is not making to the controller. Would the od off light blink

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its basically like seting the old vacuum valve for the c6. And I didn't know you could permanently tap a trans pressure gauge in. I thought that was just for testing. I figured a flexable line would act as an acumulator and effect shifting
Depends on the line you use - think about it, brakes have rubber hoses, and they don't act like accumulators, even tho they see pressure about 10x higher than what's inside the E4OD. Additionally, if you use an electric gauge, you won't have a line to begin with - the sensor screws directly into the case.

I just thought of this what if the signal voltage from the potentiometer is not making to the controller. Would the od off light blink
That would put the TCM into failure-management code, and since TPS signal is one of the things it absolutely wants to see I'd imagine the limp-home mode resulting from its absence will be of the most severe kind, where you only get 2nd and 4th gear and no converter lockup. You can test your theory by probing the harness where it plugs into the TCM, I'll see if I can find out tomorrow which pin is the one you need for that...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read this? Did I waste my time typing it?

Setting is from or between. .96 to 1.2 VDC. It's like trial and error, set it at the lowest voltage see how it shifts, then raidse it if it's too soft a shift, raise by a . 98 --1.0--1.01--1.02 and so on, til you like the shifting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online