E4OD not going into OD and the Torque Converter NO lock up

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 95 Ford Diesel where the E4OD is not going into 4th gear. Also the TC isn't locking up (when I let off the accelerator the RPM's go to an idle RPM even at 65 miles per hour).

Is this fixeable or most likely expensive. I had an IDI a while back with an E4OD and it also had problems (But a different set).

thanks,
Nick

Last edited:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
the drop rite to idle part has me concered (so does the no overdrive but not as baddly!). sound to me like somtething is messed up good in that trans. If you buy it, plan on replacing the trans. If you can work that into the deal then go for it.
Ken

nicksorenson

Reaction score
the drop rite to idle part has me concered (so does the no overdrive but not as baddly!). sound to me like somtething is messed up good in that trans. If you buy it, plan on replacing the trans. If you can work that into the deal then go for it.
Ken

I spoke with a guy today who said that the solenoid pack could be bad. In this case it's $200-$300 for a new one.

But... throwing $300 at a transmission with 350,000 miles may not be a good idea.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
all valid concerns ^^
The coasting part bothers me the most. Solenoid pack has almost nothing to do with that. There are overruning clutches and sprags inside the trans that do fail and cause that. The end of that trans is near
Ken

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, both shift solenoids are OFF when in overdrive, so you can scratch that off the list of possible cause too. A bad shift solenoid would cause gear skipping or wrong gear starts but not a failure to engage overdrive.

350 000 miles on a factory E4OD? VERY impressive;Really

The E4OD is equipped with a coast clutch that automatically allows the RPM to drop to idle and the speed of the truck over runs the speed of the crank shaft. The PCM is allowing this to happen because its supposed to be in overdrive but since that won't engage, the transmission over runs at idle engine speed. I had similar behavior when I screwed things up in my E4OD. It would neutral out on coasting even in second gear. It does not necessarily mean that sprags and/or one way clutches have failed.

This might not be major, but there is of course the risk that it is if you have that many miles on the tranny.

This could actually be as simple as a stuck 3-4 shift valve in the transmission and that can be repaired with the trans still in the truck. If that is the problem, then the worst case senario would be a new valve body from VBX for under $400, but its actually possible to replair the valves yourself in some cases. Nice thing about VBX is they are ready updated and shift very nice.

I would not pay full price for the truck, thats for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online