E4OD noise from pan after shut down?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still poking around in the short bus.
O/D button started flashing and noticed noise like fluid pressure being released in oil pan. Continues for minute or two after shut down.
On way to Marqette UP Michigan tomorrow, would like to know whats up.
Any ideas?
Does not seem overly hot and does this after just a few minutes of driving.

History. Ran two qts low last week due to hose leak (normally no leaks). Got flashing button, went away on own when corrected.
Thought magnafine filter may be clogged so changed out. Still flash but thought noise gone. So i disconnected battery thinking it needed to be reset (desperat thinking) and flash is gone. Shifting fine but noise still there. Sounds like from back half of pan.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
solenoid pack buzz.change your teca relay as soon as possible to avoid burning it up.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks FORD250HDXLT!
Now I will look up TECA selonoid and how to do it but it's slow going internet wise right now. In the middle of the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest right now, internet is my smart phone w/ poor signal. This here response is 1/2 hr!
Can anyone tell me what burns up?
What the teca is and whats technically happening?
Will a 600 mile trip damage it or too risky?
Most important, checking out some remote land with my family, can this lead to failure or just limp mode?
Thanks for the help

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TECA = transmission electronic control assembly.
there is a devoted control unit that controls the E40D in idi trucks because we have no engine control unit.

in the power distribution box under the hood (in 9th gen f-seriers anyway) there is a power relay for the TECA (along with a fuse and a diode.however neither of those are your issue)
sometimes when the relay fails,it can fail in such a way that it "flickers" power to the source.in this case,the solenoid pack is getting power/loosing power/getting power/loosing power.it's making that electrical "buzz" sound your hearing after you shut the truck down.it's very distinct and comes directly from the trans pan.

there was a TSB on this (but i can't find it again) explaining this very issue and the cause being a failing relay.the TSB advised to change the relay as soon as possible or else the life of the solenoid pack would be shortened.it also stated to investigate this issue,if one keeps going through solenoid packs as a diagnostic procedure.

it's an extremely simple fix,should cost 2-3 bucks and should require no tools.
you can use a relay found at the auto stores,but just break off the screw down tab on the top so your power distribution box closes.grab a spare relay and toss it in the glove box (though,you'll probably never need it ever again in a million years.)

edit;
tip: one can even swap relays around as a temp roadside fix.for example,the horn or towing relay can be used in placed of the TECA to get you going again.they are all the same basic relays.

Last edited:

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks again!
Switched horn and teca relay. No change.
Tried to pinpoint where noise is coming from? Sounds closer to rear trans line. Don't think its electrical.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is spinning for 30-40 sec after shut down. Its a pulsing the slows to a stop. May be wrong but my gut says fluid

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked check valve. Seems free but it makes sense this is problem. Feel pulse little in return line and has not been going in gear very quick at start up. Especilly reverse. Could that be TC draining?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah ok.that's different.i think your right on top of the issue.the check valve on the return/rear of trans.
that's very interesting you can hear that.well i wouldn't worry about that effecting your trip but since you just pulled that out of the case in the rear to inspect it,you know how easy it is to replace sometime within a month or two.
when you pushed in on the check ball,did it have a pretty good little spring action to it?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enough spring to keep from leaking. I didnt pull check, just took line off and stuck a alan wrench in there.
Must be something stuck in the seat i cant see.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i would have pulled it right off to inspect it good.perhaps its just a little dirty or something.....not that there should be anything for dirt/grit/metal particles in the return line....but......

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Check valve spring could go bad. This will allow the converter to drain back.

Easy test. Let it sit overnight. Start the engine and put it in drive. If there is a long delay. You need to replace the valve.

Delay is caused by the converter refilling with fluid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online