E4OD Lockup Mod

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
For what ever diference it makes I think the PCM uses the positive side also to control the lock up solinoid. Why? Because all I am doing is grounding the wire to the solenoid and the PCM together - I didn't cut the wire I just spliced onto it. I have noticed that under many conditions the solinoid will unlock (when going slow or sometimes stopping conditions) Funny I don't remember exactly when it would occour,but it never was a problem-in fact it was a compliment to the system.
Origionally I thought the PCM controlled just the negative side.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
With this mod can the converter remain locked in first gear for pulling? I just pulled 20000lbs over the Rockie Mnts. and was at times down to 10 mph for a mile or two. If I could have kept the converter locked I assume it would have helped the trans temp.

Duane

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
With this mod can the converter remain locked in first gear for pulling? I just pulled 20000lbs over the Rockie Mnts. and was at times down to 10 mph for a mile or two. If I could have kept the converter locked I assume it would have helped the trans temp.

Duane

You don't want the converter locked at that speed. The tranny will fry.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't sure. After I asked the question I thought about it some more and decided that I would have probably stalled the engine or slipped the TC clutch anyway or broken something else.

Thanks for the answer. I will make the mod and just not use it down that low.

Duane

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conveter doesn't lock untill 3rd and I want to say 2400rpm but don't remember is because below 3rd you need more presure to the clutches and below what ever rpm it locks at the stock pump isn't putting out enough presure to lock both the TCC and gear at the same time. I have mine wired the easy way placed into the wire by the fire wall to a swith that goes to ground also have a LED hooked to the same side of the switch mounted in my cluster it comes on when the torque converter is engaged either by me or by the pcm that way if I'm coming to a stop and its on I know I need to flip the switch. I never had a problem with it kicking me into limp mode it should set a code when you use it but never checked for it. As for the mentioned TCC randomy unlocking I had that problem and it was due to a bad conection on the drivers side battery. I like the switch because it does 2 things for the 4-3 kick down shift wich is know for shift flare basically the covertor unlocks rpms go way up shift then covertor locks causing a lot of slipage and also the reason you hace the OD cancel button and aren't suposed to tow in OD. with the switch on you get a much crisper downshift with less slipage and if you have a turbo you don't lose boost like on the regular downshift so no cloud of smoke. I don't use mine any more because I recently installed a ford reman as my very mild shift kit finally blew up my forward clutches but on the up side I got 233,000ish miles out of the trans with almost no clutch wear too firm of a shift kit is very bad for the E4OD as the forward clutch pack is very weak and can break in a stock trans.

As for the trans comand boosting presures threw the EPC system is not the best way to do it and is much harder on the trans than a shift kit.

The only thing I hate about having a 3yr waranty on my trans is I can't make the trans shift the way I want it too with out voiding the waranty but the ford reman now that its broke in is a lot closer to shifting right than the trans these things left the factory with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online