! E4OD light blinking, and jerking on takeoff !

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is the story, I let a guy use my truck....... and he told me that the o/d light was blinking and the gear was jerking when he took off. Thats really all he told me. When I took it this morning, no more light blinking and it drove fine, and as I pulled into work, it started to blink. I never felt the truck jerk but thats was my buddy said it was doing. Any Ideas??....if this get expensive, I'm doing a zf5 swap.....(I know, the dark side).

This transmission has 15K miles on it, brand new ford motorcraft unit 2 years ago.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Firstly, she didn't like you pimping her out apparently. Second, You need to pull codes...light or not there should be something stored in the KAM.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I will take it to my guy to pull codes.

BTW: I just got a quote from a guy nearby on a parts truck for everything zf5 related - transmission, clutch, pedal assembly, driveshafts, Transfer case, shifter, slave cylinder. He told me 650? That a good deal?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the clutch is original, should I just replace it? And what about other parts?

1. tranny
2. tc
3. driveshafts
4. clutch pedal assembly
5. stick
6. rubber boot thingy
7. slave cylinder
8. cooler lines??
9. clutch
10. flywheel
What else do I need?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Also watch the tach and check the wiring at the tach sensor. If the tach is jumping around or sluggish and the wiring insulation is pulled from the sensor, it can also trip the OD light.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna bring the transmission to a dealer since it has a ford warranty on it. I was gonna mess with some stuff but then I though I might void the warranty.

Hey, I am really thinking of doing a zf5 swap. I am gonna be looking at a 88 tomorrow and I need to know what components are compatible with the 92+ years?

I am hoping to get everything off this truck except for the pedal assembly. Is that possible? I need to know before tomorrow morning, thanks!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read the warranty, dang thing expired in may, ain't that always how it works.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh good old blinking tranny light trust me ur better off getting a diff tranyy once the ford e4od starts blinking and coin funny **** there done either have it fully rebuilt or pick one up from a junk yard iv had like 4 of them do it to me u end up spending more money trying to fix it than anything

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ahh good old blinking tranny light trust me ur better off getting a diff tranyy once the ford e4od starts blinking and coin funny **** there done either have it fully rebuilt

Not necessarily. all mine was, was a out of range TPS and a bad rpm sensor. those are not high dollar items. you are best off doing some trouble shooting first and not just go into "scrap the E4OD mode". mine runs good now once those problems were taken care of.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna get mine working good and then sell it.

I assume the I'm getting out of the 88 will be a s5-42?

Also anyone know if I can use the hydraulic components off the 88??

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Read my signature......my E4od had blinking light issues....I fixed them, or thought I did...then the torque converter took a dump....now I have a ZF in my truck!

THe only thing that will not work from the 1988 to the OBS 1992 - up truck are the pedals under the dash. The firewalls were apparently a touch different and won't allow it to bolt up right.

I did the ZF swap in a weekend. Used a still good DMF flywheel, clutch and pressure plate....no issues to date! You won't BELIEVE how the ZF will wake your truck up!!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes me happy!!!

Will the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and hard line work too?

This is what I have so far......Please tell me if I am missing anything?

Transmission
flywheel
clutch
driveshafts
frame crossmembers(2?)
slave cylinder(I read it work with years 83-96)
clutch fork
shifter with boot
Harness

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
No, that should be fine....just where the bracket goes up under the dash is different apparently.

What is the donor truck, an F250 or F350. Same wheel base I am guessing too. Long box extended cab.....if so you got this thing BEAT!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7