E4OD in an 83-86

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, David85 did it to his '85 F250. Heck, I think Doug (GenLightening) even runs one in his IDI-powered Chev. In any truck that was not originally equipped with an E4OD you will need to add an electronic controller, you can either go with a factory one and spend days rewiring the truck for it, or you can shell out the $500-600 a Bauminator runs for and run that aftermarket unit and program it to your liking.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I AM the 1985 model year, the truck is 1986LOL

M.L.S.C. is right about your controller options. To make a long story short, I highly recommend the swap if you can afford to do it properly. It will change your truck's outlook on life.

1992 is not a good year for the swap though, because the speedometer is fully electronic starting in that year. Unless your truck is 4wd, and you reuse the old transfer case, you won't have a working speedometer after the swap.

E4ODs from 1989-1991 have a cable driven speedometer and an electronic speed sensor mounted at the transmission end of the cable. 1992 and up have a VSS on the rear differential and the speedometer cable is eliminated.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so basicly the only difference is the tail housing. I think I can find a 88-91 tail housing.

Sorry, but no.....

The tailshaft is also different after 1992. In some rare cases, you might find a post 1992 transmission that still has the type of tail shaft that can drive a speedometer gear, but don't count on it. Replacing the tailshaft requires complete teardown of the transmission.

Pulling off the tail housing will tell you if the tail shaft is the correct type. You will see the worm cut gear pattern in the shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online