e4od hesitates/slips between shifts

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
just like the title says my e4od hesitates/slips between shifts. time for a new tranny? no tranny codes found. will a transgo tugger kit fix this? fluid shows signs of slippage (brownish color)

i know where a good used jasper tranny is that shifted great. the guy i sold it to decided to go with a built tranny and sell this one back to me

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I would try to raise the FIPLE voltage a bit which in turn would create later/firmer shifts. See what happens

Mine is constantly set a tad higher than the 1.1v at idle. I feel a slightly later shift is easier on the trans. IMHO

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
how would i go about doing this? this is a powerstroke if it makes a difference

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Oh sorry, didn't realize that it was a stroke. Im not sure what they use for a TPS of FIPL. I should as I owna stroke with an E4od.

Someone else will chime in im sure. Good luck and stay posted, dont give up in that trans just yet.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i posted it here for the most views. didnt know if there was a difference or not.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, didn't realize that it was a stroke. Im not sure what they use for a TPS of FIPL. I should as I owna stroke with an E4od.

Someone else will chime in im sure. Good luck and stay posted, dont give up in that trans just yet.

Not trying to hi-jack .. what is the procedure for an idi ?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
There are 3 wires for the FIPL on the drivers side of the injection pump.. Test the voltage on the middle wire with the key ON and engine OFF. The voltage should be around 1.0-1.1v at idle and up to 4.3v at full throttle.
Loosen the two torx nuts and adjust as necessary.

I have mine set at 1.2v at idle.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your in the wrong forum for a PSD but here goes. The TPS is on the foot peddle. There is like two of them.

....It recieves a 5 volt reference on the Brown/White ---- ground circuit on the Black/White wire. It also sends a .9 volt to 4.5 volt signal on the Green/White wire to the PCM to indicate throttle position.

The IVS is a normally closed switch. It has 2 wires, 1 is a Brown, a fused battery voltage wire , the other is Red/Orange and goes to the PCM to confirm pedal position. When the pedal is in the idle position the Brown wire at the IVS is battery voltage and the Red/Orange wire is 0 volts.

As pedal travel
increases to approximately 1.3 volts as indicated on the Green/White wire at the AP sensor[or TPS], the voltage on the Red/Orange wire should increase to battery voltage to indicate acceleration.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO. But they wear out.
Anyone running a E4OD should invest in a manual from ASTG. It has all the trouble shooting, tear down and rebuild. Around $26 for it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your fluid is burn't (brownish) it should be changed, and go from there. See what's in the pan when changing if anything. A lot of sludge could mean the clutch faces are worn off making it slip. A tugger kit won't do any good if that's the case, needs rebuild.