E4od headache

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I pressure test it and the pressure is below spec (I Wil check all data tomorrow) I should bring it back to the shop?

This may be a stupid question but how do I check line pressure without a obd2 port and a scanner?

No, it's not a stupid question, ya just don't know.

On the trans, just ahead of the shift lever (Black box) is a pressure port with a plug in it, IIRC it's 3/8"NPT. You need a gauge for at least 400 PSI. At idle speed, 50 to 70 PSI, @ 1500 RPM, 225 to 275 PSI with a warm/hot trans. Block the front wheels, jack up the rear, run thru the gears, note the PSI in each gear. You can use a short hose connected to the trans port and gauge, safer that way, your not under the truck.

Edit: Forgot you put a tugger in it. Changes were made to the trans pump, pressures may be higher.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's not a stupid question, ya just don't know.

On the trans, just ahead of the shift lever (Black box) is a pressure port with a plug in it, IIRC it's 3/8"NPT. You need a gauge for at least 400 PSI. At idle speed, 50 to 70 PSI, @ 1500 RPM, 225 to 275 PSI with a warm/hot trans. Block the front wheels, jack up the rear, run thru the gears, note the PSI in each gear. You can use a short hose connected to the trans port and gauge, safer that way, your not under the truck.
Alright I will purchase a gauge on friday.

Its kinda rough to admit being a mechanic, and not knowing the answers to these problems. problem I have is our shop doesn't touch transmissions we swap them or send the vehicle elsewhere so I have 0 experience. .. also having normal work ( headgaskets, intake gaskets, suspension, and brake work) come through the door and I never get the opportunity to learn anything about these trucks or similar vehicles without my own vehicles breaking. So I appreciate the information greatly.

Back on topic once I test the pressure I will post the results once I purchase the gauge

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can take that test port plug out without loosing any fluid. Take it with you for thread comparision.. Use a six point wrench/socket so you don't round off the hex.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Alright I will purchase a gauge on friday.

Its kinda rough to admit being a mechanic, and not knowing the answers to these problems. problem I have is our shop doesn't touch transmissions we swap them or send the vehicle elsewhere so I have 0 experience. .. also having normal work ( headgaskets, intake gaskets, suspension, and brake work) come through the door and I never get the opportunity to learn anything about these trucks or similar vehicles without my own vehicles breaking. So I appreciate the information greatly.

Back on topic once I test the pressure I will post the results once I purchase the gauge

Time to learn.:D Actually you will find working on a E4 or 4R to be really easy. The big thing is to keep everything clean. A little dirt or crud can ruin your work.

What you should do is pick up a copy of the ATSG manual. You can find them online cheaply. Reading this manual will help you decide if you want to dive in to transmissions.

Try it, you might like it.:D

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zmck150- If you decide to dig into the trans yourself, I have an ATSG manual for the E4OD that I would sell if you haven't already found one. I recently bought the manual because of my own battle with the E4OD. I won't need the manual now because when the E4OD in my '94 needs to be rebuilt next time, I will either do a ZF5 swap or have the the trans professionally rebuilt. I also have a few new pump parts (seals, washers) that I would sell if you decide you need to pull the pump. I bought the parts in anticipation of having to pull the pump in my E4OD (again) but it turned out I did not have to. I also have a new 0-500 psi glycerin filled pressure gauge. PM me if you are interested and I will give the details.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I wish I had put a zf5, but I steered away from that cause the clutch is a pain to push in from my experience. if it were my truck I would have done it

I know the Luk Clutch I put on mine is very easy and smooth to push in. Clutch pedal works like a car.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zmck150- If you decide to dig into the trans yourself, I have an ATSG manual for the E4OD that I would sell if you haven't already found one. I recently bought the manual because of my own battle with the E4OD. I won't need the manual now because when the E4OD in my '94 needs to be rebuilt next time, I will either do a ZF5 swap or have the the trans professionally rebuilt. I also have a few new pump parts (seals, washers) that I would sell if you decide you need to pull the pump. I bought the parts in anticipation of having to pull the pump in my E4OD (again) but it turned out I did not have to. I also have a new 0-500 psi glycerin filled pressure gauge. PM me if you are interested and I will give the details.
I will pm you in a couple of days I have a couple of things to try first for free, plus my paycheck clears tomorrow anyway lol. Thank You for the offer I will be in contact

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Luk Clutch I put on mine is very easy and smooth to push in. Clutch pedal works like a car.
I wish I had done my research first, I am so fed up with automatics I currently have two to deal with. For future reference I will keep that in mind though, thank you very much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger