E4OD Down and Out

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately it didn't grenade and throw pieces everywhere, just ate up the splines. It was a Dacco unit, not oem. Given that the PO never fixed the tach or FIPL who knows what the poor ecm was trying to do going 65 mph at "idle"

I drained the converter and filtered the fluid. Only a faint bit of metal. Same for the transmission filter.

I do think I'll opt for a light duty converter. It'll minimize financial risk in case the tranny ate something.

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the PO put ~60k towing on the converter, which is acceptable to me for a $150 replacement.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why the splines would get wiped out... I would have expected the lockup clutch to fail/slip long before defeating any hard parts.

I have half a mind to cut it open and investigate!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post pictures if you do! Splines getting stripped isn't that unheard of. Older E4ODs that had the aluminum planetary carriers could sometimes have the overdrive hub stripped.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stripped splines:
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think I'll chop it up just yet. Was considering making it into a centrifuge since I have a suitable 1/2 hp 1750 rpm electric motor (with a flex a lite radiator fan on it to evacuate welding fumes ;Sweet ).

If I have to pay postage to send it back as a core ($44), then I'll just chop it up.

I did notice cracks in the paint radial to the hub. Not sure how to interpret that. Found a faint date marking of 7-20-2005. Also had a couple spots of rust not evident from the inspection cover.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The splines failed because it was the original outdated input shaft.

Either the splines strip, or the shaft snaps off at the splines.

Ford has updated this part years ago. Aftermarket has greatly improved this part.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured that. Since I'm not opening up the tranny I'll stick with the current shaft.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new converter in, everything buttoned up, and filled with fluid. Level is good hot in park.

Now the damn thing won't pick the right gear in D... R, 2, and 1 work fine, D goes to an unknown higher gear. So now I have an electrical issue... will try cleaning out the connectors and using dielectric grease. Hopefully the MLPS or solenoid connector just didn't seat right or picked up a grain of sand.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the solenoid pack connector.

My thought exactly. Got too dark/cold/inebriated to tinker with it, and the exhaust was hot from idling a while.

I was surprised that it took 3 gallons down the dipstick tube, not including 3 quarts in the reman converter. It does have a moderate size tranny cooler, may rig in an external filter like I have on my Mustang's AOD.

UPDATE:
Cleaned the connectors and shot in dielectric grease. D starts off properly now. Off for a test drive to the parts store! Mustang blew out an exhaust gasket. -cuss

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online