E4od casting number id

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RF-FOTP-7006-BA, hopefully the pic is attached....

Anybody here have any clue as to what this casting number is? I found through a search that if the casting number starts with EF-F9 it is pre 95ish, if it starts with F5 it is later. I'm hoping it is newer. It has either been rebuilt or replaced there is an extreme amount of form-a-gasket between the t-case and adapter that I sure wouldn't of done...

Any input is appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The casting number is usually just an engineering number. IF you can get the right person at a dealer he can work with it. Most dont/wont.
That would be a correct prefix for your truck.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks typ4.. I was hoping it was newer and they had the entire thing swapped 215k miles I know it's been built before. Just got it up on a engine stand going to pull the pan and see what's in it.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S..
The dealership around here sucks.. I gave them the part number for the olives strait from Ford parts site and he couldn't find them..... He didn't even have to look into it just type in the number and order them......

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
There should be another set of numbers next to or below the Ford badge.
It will start with the letter "F". There will be a digit following. This will be the year. 0 1990, 1 for 91 ect. T for truck. P for auto.

This will give you the casting date for the case. The only way to tell what is inside, is to open it up.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks trackspeeder. I didn't see any other casting numbers after I washed it down but I didn't really look too hard at it. I pulled the pan and filter and was surprised I could see some of the clutch packs.. Very clean inside and no discoloration on any hard parts I could see.

I did find a hand stamped number, BTS3024272, Brian's truck shop?? I immediately sent them a message to see if it's them. Anyone with a BTS tranny please chime in, I'm hoping it is so I can get my rig back up and running when I get a new flex plate.

The oil is from me cussing and picking the converter up after it hit the floor... It was clean enough to eat off of before that.

The tranny wasn't giving me any issues, other than the trans command flaking out (removing it and tossing it in the trash..). Just want to have it checked out while it's down. I don't know a lot about autos except for the fact I hate them in trucks, but I couldn't pass up the price on this truck. Drove it for 2 years with no major issues, just common maintenance, untill the flex plate crapped out, and I don't have time to swap a zf in (driving a borrowed Jeep and borrowing a shop spot to do the work)

Thinking now I will take it to a local pop and son shop that is highly recommended/knowledgeable around here and have them throw some new seals in the pump and case and flush it if they can.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks thewespaul, I have one on the way already. I wouldn't want to take one you might need eventually anyway, sounds like this is a common problem with these trucks..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks thewespaul, I have one on the way already. I wouldn't want to take one you might need eventually anyway, sounds like this is a common problem with these trucks..
No autos in my fleet so I won’t be needing it LOL

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a good resource for ford identification is a retired OEM prtsman "Numbers Dummy" over on FTE. He still has the books & microphish (not sure on CDs). He's heledp (litterally) millions!

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update and another question...

Turns out its not a BTS. According to Brian they do not stamped their trans like that. I'm going to put it back together with lines/bypass for a 4r100, new cooler and radiator I've been holding on to for a year or so now (been needing to install it just haven't had time).

So I actually have 2 questions I guess...

Anyone that has ordered the 4r100 bypass from Rock Auto did it come with the line connectors or did you have to get them separately?

Also will the dipstick for a 4r work on the e4? I've read alot that the 4r is basically an e4 with a few internal/external mods. The lower dipstick tube on mine is rough and of course not available, and with the turbo the upper is in a crappy place to get to even with the banks relocated tube.

I did search the part number for the lower tube and everything I found said it's for the 4r. I thought if I could get ahold of the entire 4r dipstick it would work better since the diesels they are on are all turbos and basically set up the same as mine.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4R dipstick tube will work on a E4.

Trackspeeder I hate to ask but will the entire assy with a dipstick work or just the lower???? I know the dipstick on the e4 is color coded... And of course I'm color blind. From what I can tell the color code is for the length/application??????

Like I said before I don't know much about autos except I don't really like them in a truck.. but I couldn't pass on the price of the truck..

Thanks in advance for the advise..

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Trackspeeder I hate to ask but will the entire assy with a dipstick work or just the lower???? I know the dipstick on the e4 is color coded... And of course I'm color blind. From what I can tell the color code is for the length/application??????

Like I said before I don't know much about autos except I don't really like them in a truck.. but I couldn't pass on the price of the truck..

Thanks in advance for the advise..

You can use the upper assembly too. E4 and 4R share the same lower tube. You can mix and match the upper parts. Be sure the dipstick is correct for the tube that you are using.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the upper assembly too. E4 and 4R share the same lower tube. You can mix and match the upper parts. Be sure the dipstick is correct for the tube that you are using.

Got it!!! Thanks again. Hopefully I won't bug you anymore

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.