e4od Advice needed please!!

ejmfire530

Reaction score
KEEP IN MIND my truck has 209k TOTAL miles on it the tranny is a Jasper Rebuilt IDK how many miles the guy told me it had MAYBE 10k but had no documentation so it could be any amount... I bought my truck last summer, it shifted hard and the od light was flashing... this is before i knew anything about the IDI or even knew this site existed. The owner told me it was because of a shift kit in the tranny it was build for pulling big campers he said. Eventually the tranny started acting up making noises and the Torque Converter eventually went out, dropped tranny pulled TC as i assumed that was the issue cut it open sure enough the TC internals were BUSTED in pieces... tranny shop says the tranny will need rebuilding because of this. I couldnt afford the rebuild because they want 1800 to rebuild it so i bought the $200 Reman OEM Torque converter from them truck drives great shifts fine but my fluid always smells burnt and SOMETIMES DOES act funny but ONLY after heating up ive only driven like 100 miles at once maybe twice when the tranny heats up a bunch... Ive changed the tranny filter twice now and am going to again today or tomorrow as the last time i ruined the pan gasket by over torquing and while i change that i might as well change the filter again...

What my question is, should i get this rebuilt? how much SHOULD this rebuild cost? is there anything i can do to clean up the tranny without a rebuild so the fluid will stop burning or smelling burnt and stay cooler???? any input would be greatly appreciated as I love my truck i bought an ats 093 turbo setup thats about ready to go on and am in the process of restoring it with a new paint job already bought a new bed for it and my father actually owns a body shop he is repairing my cab corners and front fenders and he will be squirting it when all done, i dont wanna do all this to it and then have to spend 1800 on a tranny otherwise the truck runs GREAT

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The transmission should not be burning the fluid. Burnt fluid is from slipping. Good chance there was other damage when the converter puked.
Usually when the converter comes apart it will send debris through the entire tranny. This can cause damage to the seals, pump, and other parts of the tranny.

Rebuild cost depends on what is needed. If the tranny is up to the latest spec figure about $1800 bucks. If it needs updating mainly gear sets and sprags figure about $2000+.

Personally, I would have the unit rebuilt. You will save money on fluid and filters.

ejmfire530

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, that really sucks considering my insurance doesn't even think my truck is worth $1800 now I have a tough decision of wether the truck is worth the money or not

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your trans to Valley Transmission in South Bend, IN. Should be pretty close to you.I just blew my trans 2 weeks ago on the way to PA. He got it done fast and right with the billet torque converter, raybestos clutch packs and the bigger trans pan for 2000.00. With that price he also took it out and put it back in. It is one hell of trans now. If your doing alot work to the truck to make it nice then definately get the trans.