E40D Question for Transmission Expert

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short story, I disconnected my batteries this winter (1994 e350 idi 7.3 van) and as a result, lost all fault codes. If I start the van, will the computer remap at idle and fault codes start to show up - currently no line pressure (as I have been told) trying to figure out this issue correctly before installing new trans (which I may or may not need) Any thoughts? I wish Ford had thought this through as batteries commonly fail. etc. Thanks!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually batteries rarely fail, Ford's setup is pretty robust. And yes, the TCM will store new codes for you as soon as it finds them. However some of those codes during normal operation will require actually driving the van, so just idling you may get the line pressure code but there won't be much else. Grab a scanner off evilbay for under $50 and use it to make the TCM run into self-diagnostics mode both with engine off and then running (known as KOEO and KOER tests respectively), this will pull pretty much all the codes short of #62 but that one is the least of your concerns right now IMHO. Tool I use is "Innova 3145", it's EEC-IV specific (meaning it only works with pre-OBD2 Fords and nothing else) and works very well for E4OD diagnostics on these trucks.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find a rotunda super star tester on there...i got a working one for $5. really. a star tester won't work, has to be a super star or super star ii.
you can find the koeo or koer procedures online.
and i think actron makes a reader too, can usually get those at parts stores.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
To find a line pressure issue you need a test gauge. Remove the test port plug (driver side above the pan) and instal the gauge.

No line pressure the vehicle will not move at all. Low line pressure the converter will drift and the tranny will slip. You will get codes for this.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great responses - question about line pressure, would little to no pressure indicate a failed pump or TC? Would a blown TC show zero line pressure - I ask because I have been told that most likely it is my TC. Is it practical to change the pump if it is indeed the pump vs a total rebuild? Man, have I been through the wringer including a very deceptive Ford service manager who I caught lying to me. Hate dealing with trans issues as they seem overly complicated with lots of misinformation. Thanks, rant over

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is driven off the converter, but it's done thru its housing, so as long as engine runs and converter housing turns with it (as in the 4 studs that hold it to the pressure plate have not sheared off) the pump will also turn and should make pressure. So no line pressure at the test port would suggest a pump issue to me. Decent pressure at the port with no movement in any gear would point to internal converter failure of some sort. As far as numbers go, this is the info I got:

Gear Range: @Idle Hot: @Stall Hot:
Park or Neutral 55 - 70 psi N/A
Reverse 75 - 130 psi 240 - 265 psi
Drive 55 - 70 psi 156 - 174 psi
Manual 2 55 - 70 psi 156 - 174 psi
Manual 1 79 - 99 psi 157 - 186 psi

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Pump or broken input shaft. Early input shafts are weak. They are known for breakage. Part of the 95 upgrades included a harder input shaft.