e40d pump seal leak

1990idi

Reaction score
hey guys i hauled my jeep for the first time with this truck today probably about 30 miles. got home and parked the truck a couple of hours later noticed trans fluid had dripped out from the bell housing.... not much and its not pooring out. am i just lookin g at a new seal or more? ive heard of issues with these e4ods pumps and torque converters.... also i put some lucas stop slip/stop leak in being hopeful. the transmissions shifts just fine with no issues other than the leak. also lets say i want to put a new transmission in who should i go with?

1990idi

Reaction score
well its not leaking now, some of my coworkers think i overheated it maybe... fluid is still red and no slippage or leaks anymore. so is a 4500 pound jeep and maybe 1500 pound trailer too much for these trucks?

1990idi

Reaction score
also i need to change my coolant soon, i work at a kenworth dealer and can get a hold of CAT, TRP, SHELL red extended life coolants, and also the shell conventional coolant. now if i run the red ELC coolant i wont have to add scas correct? will i need to flush the system before i change over to red? also my coolant is still nice and green in color.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM seal on the pump to converter shaft will tend to melt and leak, when pulling heavy loads, although your 6000 lb load is not considered heavy, it is advisable to have an transmission Auxillary cooler. The seal will seal up again when the shaft cools down. As trackspeeder says, replace the seal with a Viton seal, it's just a one wrap seal about an 1/8" square. No seal additive will expand Plastic or Viton. It's not advisable to add Lucas or any other product like that, only in an emergency, those products soften and expand the clutch seals, not good.

To replace that seal, the trans. has to be moved back far enough to remove the TC, replace the seal, then reverse the procedure.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so is the damage done with the lucas?

Without any info on your truck in your signature, all answers to your question would be a SWAG.
Only time will tell about that, and how hard the transmission is being used.
If you start having shifting problems it could be a sign that it is being damaged.
How old is the fluid in it now?
The recommended fluid life is 30K miles. If the trans. has been repeatedly run hot (over 240*F) then it should be changed at the recommended life. Normal running temp. is 180*F to 210*F.
Is it the original transmission, has never been rebuilt?
How many miles on the truck/transmission?
Do you have a transmission temperature gauge?

Just Info: The tires should be inflated to the PSI marked on the tires when hauling or pulling, under inflated tires causes the trans. to work harder. Heat is the detriment to any automatic transmission.

1990idi

Reaction score
the truck has under 80k original miles on it and it shows the truck looks like it just came off the showroom floor, i picked it up with 60k on it. the truck was never used for heavy pulling or anything like that, was owned by a friends grandpa that bough it "used" in 91. truck didnt even have trailer towing package. i checked today and it does not have an external trans cooler so i picked up a hayden that is good for 12k pound loads. no i dont have a trans temp gauge. how hard is it to install one? the fluid is still red and does not smell burnt and i am unsure if it has ever been serviced.... speaking of which i would like to service the cooling system. can i switch over to red elc coolant?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Hayden might just be enough, but a Tru-cool 18K or 24K is a better one. I would get the Magnafine filter also.
You truck weigh's 6200, load is 6000, Hayden is 12K GVW.
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-Transmission-Cooler-4454/dp/B005XZXB1M

You should flush the Trans. like below.
The trans. temp gauge goes in the pressure port, it's on the drivers side, just ahead of the shift lever.
To switch coolant over to RED, if you mean FleetGard with SCA, there is a post on here about switching.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?68978-Flushing-with-distilled-water

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

Last edited:

1990idi

Reaction score
i dont plan on changing the seal yet, its not leaking now so when i have the time to get to pulling the trans i will change it out.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
OEM is gray. Viton can be purple, black, blue or green. Depends on the manufacturer.

I use precision #16601EV this one is black.:D

As for tranny coolers, stick with TruCool. They use a stacked plate design that offers least pressure drop. TruCool max is great for the price. ;Sweet