e40d problems

mason44

Reaction score
I'm having some problems with the tranny and hope someone has some input, the truck is a 1994 f-350 4x4 idi and the trans is an e40d. When the truck is cold the trans shifts very hard in all gears, the problem is after it warms up it slips and does not want to start moving from a stop. Once it starts moving it will shift, just hard. The engine rpm's sometimes also jump up and down about 300 rpm when driving. The tach sender was bad and I replaced it with a new one, that fixed the tach but did nothing for the trans. I bought the truck about two years ago and the trans had just been replaced, and I've only put about 5,000 miles on it. I tested the fipl with a volt meter and it checked out good. Any other ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check the fuse panel. The trans is in limp home mode and will self destruct if you don't fix it. What was the voltage on the flps green wire at idle and wide open throttle. The motor must be off but the ignition turned to the run section. Just don't let the motor start. This section of the ignition switch allows power to the wipers, radio, injection pump and trans.

mason44

Reaction score
Is there I certain fuse I should check?

I can't remember the exact voltage, it's been a couple of months since I tested it, I haven't been driving the truck. It tested to the specs I found posted below:

Test FIPL (Throttle Position Sensor) – On Warm engine, measure voltage from Ground (-) to middle wire coming out of black doodad on right side of injection pump with key on engine off. No throttle should measure 1.1-1.4v. Wide Open Throttle to the floor should read 4.1-4.5v. (if out of spec, adjust)

mason44

Reaction score
Speedometer works correctly, brakes seem to work fine, ABS light is not currently on, but I do recall it coming on occasionally

mason44

Reaction score
All fuses were also good, is it possible for the fipl to test good, but still cause problems?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your idle and full power readings are good on the FIPL sensor, but how about the smooth change in readings? any flat or dead spots in the range?

I would pull the ABS/VSS sensor at the differential and inspect the magnetic probe as well as the electrical connector at it. Sometimes dirt, corrosion or in the case of the probe inside the pumpkin, metal sludge can throw the readings off a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger