E40D overdrive not working

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I have a 92 7.3 f350. When i first got the truck I mainly drove around town and never paid attention to the OD not working. Last week I was getting ready to move 4hrs away so i decided to see if i could try to fix the OD problem. I checked the wires in the column to see if they have been ruined and the were fine. then i checked all fuses/ relays and everything seems to working fine. While driving on the highway at 65mph the rpms were at 3k which to me seems very high. CAN ANYONE HELP!!!:mad:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the rear end gear ratio. My 92 had 4.10 gears and 3,000 rpm at 70 was right on. I am betting you have 4.10's also.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
yeah i have 4:10s, so being at 3,000 is normal and is it okay to run the truck for a long time at those rpm's??

Mherriford

Reaction score
Overdrive should not be at 3 rpm at 70 even with 4.10 rear end gears. I have a 4.10 rear c-6 truck, and i get 300 rpm at 70, overdrive should be 500 or so rpm lower I would think k

Sam7.3

Reaction score
yeah i thought it would be lower than 3rpm, i read a couple forums online and people who have the e40d with 4:10 gears say theyre getting around 2400/2500rpm.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 3000 rpm with a 4.10 rear and e4od, assuming 33" tires, should be 101 MPH in OD. 3rd should be 71mph at 3000 RPM.

Couple things to check: E4OD codes, and tach sensor.
Does your tach drop to zero at idle or hop up to ~2000 rpm right off idle? Floaty tach needle?

Does clicking the OD button cause an audible change in RPM?

Your exact tire size and exact speed/RPM at your top gear would help too.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
when going 40 and i let off the throttle the rpms drop from 2k to 1k but at half throttle going up to 45 at 40 there is a jump in rpms (about 200). Clicking the button does nothing to the rpms. at 70 i am at 3200rpm. I have 4:10 gears, 33'' tires (technically 32.8'') but who's counting LOL

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the math puts us at 76 mph. You may have slippage in the lockup clutch... but that's a wild guess.

Best guesstimate at this point would be to pull and clean solenoid plug (pass side of tranny, big bundle o wires). Your TECA/TCU should be going bananas and throwing error codes since it's probably trying to command a gear, but it's not happening.

OD light dim or flashing? You can pull codes on the E4OD with a Ford OBDI reader.

How to read tranny codes: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4135-DTC-s-on-the-E4OD

Tranny wiring and code reference: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70217-Testing-E4OD-Solenoid-Pack-and-Code-referrence

Last (easy) thing to check: FIPL http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4134-Whats-a-FIPL

Sorry about the shotgun of info... but I'd check codes first and go from there. The E4OD relies on the FIPL, tach, and speedo sensor to figure what's going on. If any of those are acting up, the TECA might know.

Last edited:

Sam7.3

Reaction score
Well, the math puts us at 76 mph. You may have slippage in the lockup clutch... but that's a wild guess.

Best guesstimate at this point would be to pull and clean solenoid plug (pass side of tranny, big bundle o wires). Your TECA/TCU should be going bananas and throwing error codes since it's probably trying to command a gear, but it's not happening.

OD light dim or flashing? You can pull codes on the E4OD with a Ford OBDI reader.

How to read tranny codes: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4135-DTC-s-on-the-E4OD

Tranny wiring and code reference: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70217-Testing-E4OD-Solenoid-Pack-and-Code-referrence

Last (easy) thing to check: FIPL http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?4134-Whats-a-FIPL

Sorry about the shotgun of info... but I'd check codes first and go from there. The E4OD relies on the FIPL, tach, and speedo sensor to figure what's going on. If any of those are acting up, the TECA might know.

I need all the info i can get, i just test the FIPL, paperclip into the back of the grey and white wire, at "idle" it read .5v at WOT it read 3.8. I defiantly need to adjust it. I will do that tomorrow morning and see how it goes . Thanks everyone for the help thus far.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no 3-4 shift causes.............

attachment.php

if it's this one,your SOL.time for a reman.
attachment.php

Attachments

• no 3-4 a.JPG
    no 3-4 a.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 86
  • no 3-4 b.JPG
    no 3-4 b.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 88

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I have checked all i can check without dropping the pan. I think its a floaty tach needle, how do i fix this?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new tach sensor or pull it out and clean it, sounds like it may have metal chips on it, there pretty sensitive.The sensor has a magnet in it and uses the Hall effect, any metal stuck to the end of it will/can cause a floaty tach.

The faster the speed you go, the more RPM error occurs.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
A new tach sensor or pull it out and clean it, sounds like it may have metal chips on it, there pretty sensitive.The sensor has a magnet in it and uses the Hall effect, any metal stuck to the end of it will/can cause a floaty tach.

The faster the speed you go, the more RPM error occurs.

where is this located?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is it on the side of the ip gear housing.

You must be registered for see images attach