E40D kicking out of OD first 15 miles

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not "inline" gauge. The trans has a test port for line pressure, most folks use it to install the sender for a temperature gauge, but that ain't what the factory intended it for. From what I remember about the line pressure rise checks, the test gauge needs to be able to read 200psi at least, maybe even 300. Not that the trans should ever hit 300psi (not sure it's even capable of that), but if she does go say 220 and gauge is only good for 200, well, you get the idea...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be having an intermitent problem with the TOT (Trans Oil Temp) sensor. If you have a test harness, you could check across the two yellow wires for the proper resistance at certain temperatures. If you haven't checked for codes, there might be one or more stored even tho the CEL never came on.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the TOT sensor suggestion, I've messed with it enough to know it can mess things up for you pretty good.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think there is any signal (ohm reading) back to the TECA that would command anything other than no lockup (due to, too cold of trans fluid)
in this case here,lock up doesn't appear to be the issue.it seems to be the trans isn't entering OD.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TOT sensor affects the shift schedule. Not going into OD can be a shift schedule issue, if the thing is waiting for some conditions that are so off the wall they never actually happen.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as i know the only effect the trans operating temp sensor has on shift schedule is simply lock up of the converter.it needs to read a specific temp (via resistance) before it will allow lockup.however no ohm reading that im aware of,either low or high keeps the trans from entering OD......as far as i know.
i suppose if it did we would read of reports such as: "help my trans started overheating and i lost over drive" (but instead we read of temps getting so high the front seal leaks,but no word of losing od even in this state)

or "trans doesn't go into od until engine warms up" (but of course we know,if we see this one,the person is simply mistaking lockup and od)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah I seem to recall our E4 hitting OD just fine even while cold. Alright, how did you fix yours way back when? I seem to recall it wasn't the wiring for the OD cancel switch in the shifter that was causing the dim indicator light glow and all that, but something else?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah I seem to recall our E4 hitting OD just fine even while cold. Alright, how did you fix yours way back when? I seem to recall it wasn't the wiring for the OD cancel switch in the shifter that was causing the dim indicator light glow and all that, but something else?

that's a combo between both trucks there.

chip truck lost her od.i never got any indicator from a flashing light nor any codes from this.
after inspecting everything electrical,i dropped the pan and found bright aluminum flakes.
that's when i had to have the trans rebuilt.

log truck never lost od.
it's extra dim od light (not to be confused with a lack of power due to a blown fuse or bad relay as it was glowing half that brightly) was due to a bad TECA.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are some causes for not entering od
(there is one more,it's a mechanical failure and what happened to chip truck.od assembly failure.this wont be intermittent like whats happening here though.)

#3 is mostly likely is and is why it was suggested to test this and the harness.
this could be explain why when cold the resistance is higher- just enough to mess up but when the trans and harness/pins get warm the resistance is lowered in the corrosive connector it makes a good enough connection and all is fine.

#4 and #6 is where id go next.
this could be explained especially if the fluid hasn't been changed every 30k miles like it should have been or just spring failure.
i do have great pics showing just where to look too.i;ll see if i can find it and attach as well.

Attachments

• no 3-4 a.JPG
    no 3-4 a.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah here they are.
that pretty much helps ya figure out where the 3-4 shift valve is.iirc you might find some more helpful pics in that shift kit article in the tech section too.however these are really all you need.

Attachments

• E40D VB pic 1.JPG
    E40D VB pic 1.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 6
  • E40D VB pic 2.JPG
    E40D VB pic 2.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 6

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#3 is mostly likely is and is why it was suggested to test this and the harness.
this could be explain why when cold the resistance is higher- just enough to mess up but when the trans and harness/pins get warm the resistance is lowered in the corrosive connector it makes a good enough connection and all is fine.
Remember tho, SS2 is OFF in OD, and also in 2nd gear. Meaning in high resistance situation it's likely to never turn ON in the first place, which would mean truck has 2nd and OD but no 1st and 3rd gear. On the other hand if SS2 was getting stuck ON, then truck would only have 1st and 3rd gear in auto mode, so definitely no OD gear available, but the 2nd could still be selected and achieved manually by physically placing the shifter in the "2" position.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Test meter. Do a cold check, then my favorite hot check. See what kind of numbers the meter comes up with.

If you have a good solenoid pack available you could cheat and swap it out. Most people don't have one of those laying around. :D

Titojeep

Reaction score
UPDATE: 11-10-15. Been looking, and waiting, and checking, and still no luck. It hasn't had the problem since my last post.