e40d issiue

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
randomly while driveing the od light will start flashing and the truck shifts reallllly hard.. i can stop this by simply stopping to a complete stop. and when i start again the light goes off and all is normal. sound familiar to anyone? it does not do this often maybe once or twice a week but enough to be scary

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When you have a flashing OD OFF light, you have trouble codes. You can go to a good tranny shop or dealer and they will pull them for you.

The codes will give you a base as to where to start. You will fidget or throw a lot of parts at your tranny without them.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
When you have a flashing OD OFF light, you have trouble codes. You can go to a good tranny shop or dealer and they will pull them for you.

The codes will give you a base as to where to start. You will fidget or throw a lot of parts at your tranny without them.

thanks trackspeeder,
However the od light disapears at the next stop sign once i start again.. and it may run and shift great with out no light flashing for days to come

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay. Your E4OD transmission throws an occasional fit and the OD light starts flashing. This is not a good thing. You're concerned or you wouldn't be posting about it. In my opinion, the transmission has a problem, and it will only get worse. These things seldom cure themselves. It may be that it needs a simple FIPL adjustment. That would be the best possibility. Or it could be that this is the first indication that the transmission needs rebuilding.

It's been suggested that you pull the transmission codes with a scanner. That's the first step in determining what is wrong. These codes are stored. They do not go away just because the transmission decides to act nice again. The codes are still there, waiting for you to pull them. So, pull the codes, and report back to us. Do not disconnect the batteries. That would delete the codes.

Scan for those codes and report back.

gandalf

Reaction score
OBD 1 is good until 1995 model year, as I recall. You'll have to have one with the proper Ford connection. They run about $20 at any decent parts store. The connection on your truck is mounted on the driver's side, under the hood, just ahead of the hood hinge and spring.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is the tach jumpy. If it is, check the tach sensor wires and connector.

The "lost power" feeling is because its starting in a higher gear.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
well buaght a code reader and this is what i got\

code
74R Brake on/off (BOO) switch fualt; not actuated
65R overdrive cancel switch not changing state(E4OD) ;transmision fualt

thats word for word from the code book.

but umm i dont know what really any of this stuff is lol i get what it does by the name but i am clueless

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm at the point where my advise becomes suggestions, and my suggestion at this point is to wait for somebody who knows more about the E4OD.

I will throw in a picture/chart which contains the applicable codes. It gives, maybe, a bit more info than you did.

You must be registered for see images attach

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Thanks gandalf

problem code 74 seems to bve my issue. i felt it had something to do with the torque converter. and yes i hope someone will chime in on the knowledge cuase when it comes to auto trannys i am clueless

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you pull the codes, the throttle pedal has to be held to to the floor "WOT" or else the codes will be wrong read out.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
ohh damn didnt think that one through......

anyways i cant seem to oull a code now that its not running with key in on poistion..grr what gives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online