Dyno run

sootman73

Reaction score
Don't they run the Db4 on Chevys also?:dunno

yea from 94 or 95 up. my friends 96 has it and hes has a reprogrammed computer. gives him like 60hp increase. i want aturbo off those 6.5s cuz they can run 18+ pounds of boost in stock form and his egts are never above 900-1000!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still want the Moose Pump because its a simple install but I wonder how hard it would be to put a Db4 and the computer with custom programming on a Ford idi? That sounds like a fun but time comsuming project for someone to try. Has anybody found any information on marine injectors yet?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that marine engines are pretty much run wide open most of the time, so drivability may be lacking with those injectors. Also, those motors use the sea water (an endless supply) for cooling, so they don't worry about heat buildup like we do.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GenLightening, I agree that they vould possibly affect drivability. But my guess is that if there are any marine injectors for our applications, that the injectors would dump a lot of fuel in. But who knows how well the fuel would be automized. I wonder why a lot Chevy guys use marine injectors if they truly do affect drivability?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the moose pump is a hybrid of DB2 and DB4 components to get the fuel flow that high.....correct me if I'm wrong.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't if I were him, but I think that the Moose and DPS pumps are just DB2s with the .0031" plungers and a shift in the fuel curve so you can crank up the maximum fuel delivery without destroying the engine. One more thing you guys are mixing up a DB4 pump which was all mechanical and came on John Deere tractors and maybe some other off road equipment with a DS4 also by Stanadyne that came on the Chevy and GMC 6.5s right before they went with the Duramax. A true DB4 pump will not bolt up to an IH V8 and probably not a Chevy V8 diesel either, what I have heard RKoch and Motrack say they did was put a DB4 hydraulic head in place of a DB2 one. A true DB4 is expensive I'm told, maybe not as much as a DS4 though, but much more than a DB2. Another thing I wonder is if you could use just the DB4 plungers in a 7.3 pump, just machine out the place for the .0029" or .0031" plungers so they would be big enough, or maybe that can't be done. That's what Ken said about the 6.9 vintage DB2s that he machined them for the .0031" before he did anymore tweaks and that's why they were an extra $50, but maybe he's full of BS, who knows. With the marine injectors, how could they be wide open fuel delivery at all times, doesn't the boat gotta idle? I know my OB engine does and so does every I/O or true inboard I've ever seen. If its going to smoke things up all the time sitting in traffic I'm out, I'm no tree hugger but I'm not about intentionally overpolluting.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right Mel shouldn't give up his secrets. My bad. But anyway you are right I was gettin the Ds4 and Db2 mixed up. I wonder if the Ds4 would bolt on directly? Chevys use a Db2. I wonder if it the same one we have. Just some food for thought.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're still mixed up! The Chevys up until I guess 1997 or whenever have a DB2 which is a mirror image of ours IE it rotates the opposite direction, but the innards are all the same with minor tweks. Ditto the 5.7 Roosamaster pump. There is a DS4 AND a DB4 to make it more confusing. The DS4 is the programmable pump with the heat sink problem on the Chevs. the DB4 is exactly like a DB2 except it has 4 plungers not two and they're bigger .0033". Its still all mechanical, it has 2 fuel adjustment screws that can be tough to properly sync.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1994 and up had the DS4 pump. the 6.2l and '93 6.5lTD had the DB2 and yes they are the same but mirror image. i have a chevy DB2 in the barn and thats it exactly. there is a guy that has a 6.5l pulling tractor with two pumps on it. here's the vid...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1641713166467266832&q=6.5+diesel&hl=en
thanks for the linky. I've been looking for that one for some time.
same guy has another vid that's hardon producing material if you're into the growl of a 8v92.:thumbsup:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2001356107402338997&q=source:002608361131794004896&hl=en
it's funny how we have no appreciation for our tech whereas those northern europeans will pay dearly for the trucks and the fuel to feed it's thirst.....:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with dyno's is that the dyno jet will give really high numbers and IMHO arent worth the money to run on because they are so inaccurate. Mustang dynos are BY FAR the most accurate out of any of the dyno's. Thats what I was going to run my brown truck on.
Those are VERY good numbers from a Mustang dyno. GOOD JOB MAN!

Good to hear Sean. Like I said, I'm not dyno expert. Do you have any experience with the SuperFlows? Again, when talking with Dennis Perry, he really thinks they are the "Bee's Knees" when it come to dyno's.:dunno He (like you) really doesn't think much of the Dynojet. He warned that a good deal of aftermarket companies dyno with them to falsely elevate their HP gain on tuners/products.;Really

I'm not knocking the Mustang at all, but I wanted to get a compairsion between the three major dyno's so when we dyno at the rally, we can compair apples to apples.:thumbsup:

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already been approached about doing what I would call a Moose Pump Plus. Currently the regular Moose Pump gets away with very few parts changes, which keeps the price way down. A Moose Pump Plus would be near double the cost. :rolleyes: Due to the current economic situation, I don't see any of these being built by anybody not seriously involved in the pulling sport. It's hard enough just to get customers for the regular Moose Pump, which by the way now has sold I believe about 10. LOL.