Dyeing Cylinder

suv7734

Reaction score
What did the inside of the valve cover look like? Is there any build-up of crud around the #8 exhaust valve?

sd2649

Reaction score
no there is not. there is a nice puff coming out of the exhaust valve though. I think the fact that the valve covers are uniform is the fact that it is bathed in a mist of oil coming through the push rod holes???????????? but, no no crud, doesn't make sense, but the exhaust valve is definitely bad on that cylinder.

sd2649

Reaction score
I now have my compression tester and will be attempting to work on the truck tonight. I am hoping to make some good/bad discoveries. Thanks again for all the help. By the way I have put another 2000 miles on it since last time and burnt about 12 gallons of 20w50 in her! Shouldn't this thing have quit by now!! It hasn't changed it's running habits one bit, I would have guessed it croak by now.

sd2649

Reaction score
I didn't have time for the compression test yesterday, I will be getting my brothers help at it tomorrow. I did howeve mess with the timing. I advanced it and the blowby was horrendous! Huge single puffs. I am thinking it could be a hole in a cylinder now. I don't see how rings could let that much through. We will see which cylinder tomorrow hopefully. What should I do when I find it?? I was thinking soaking it in diesel???? Think it worth a shot. Anyone know of a good way to figure out a hole vs bad rings?? Other than pulling the heads. I really would like to keep the head on. For diagnosing, then order the parts and be able to break it down knowing what I was replacing and get it back together over a weekend.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need to stop running that motor. That exhaust valve will drop into the cylinder enough to kiss the piston's A$$ goodbye and you will have ruined the motor and block. You don't want that.

Pull the motor and tear it down, rebuild it and enjoy. The reason the motor hasn't killed over by now is that these are really tough, good motors. But, your's has served it's duty and needs some surgery.

Heath

Last edited:

sd2649

Reaction score
Oh no, I think I'm gonna cry!! I will still be doing the compression test and possible soak. I am just hoping I guess. I'll let yall know wheni've given up, about this time tommorrow.

sd2649

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, where's the best place to get a new head gasket, cylinder and rings?? Online of course.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you at in Texas. I'm down in Beaumont. I may be stuck working on newer diesels but I have rebuilt a few IDIs in my time so if your close I might be able to lend a hand.

sd2649

Reaction score
I'm in brownwood, but will be moving to Stephenville in a few months. Quite a little drive from Beaumont.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever make it down my direction let me know. I have a snapon mt480 with lumy probe and a rotunda unit with lumies and pulse adapters for doing timing work. Timing by ear is okay but with the meters you know it's perfect.

sd2649

Reaction score
Found my problem!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=114972840&albumID=2182218&imageID=32224204

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=114972840&albumID=2182218&imageID=32224202

I completed the compression test and all my cylinders tested from 405-425 psi, except... you guessed it! Cylinder #8 and I think if you look at the above photos you can figure out why. The #8 cylinder tested at 325 psi.

The tip of the glowplug had apparently broken off, it happened a while back seeing as the exposed center is nowhere near fresh looking. At this point, I wonder what is going on in there??? I'm guessing the rings are full of crud, the cylinder walls are good and scored and possibly a bent/cracked valve from the bigger chunks on their way out?? I will re assert that the exhaust is very clean and clear when running, no white smoke MOST of the time, but every so often, you can hear a louder click and see a white puff. If i get on the throttle a bit, it will go away, so is the valve rotating and moving around, working well sometimes and bad others???? as for the piston/rings, anyone think that piece is big enough to punch a hole in the cylinder??? I'm guessing rings and scoring, so... think any of the glowplug is left in the cylinder??? anything to do besides tear it apart???????

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found my problem!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=114972840&albumID=2182218&imageID=32224204

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=114972840&albumID=2182218&imageID=32224202

I completed the compression test and all my cylinders tested from 405-425 psi, except... you guessed it! Cylinder #8 and I think if you look at the above photos you can figure out why. The #8 cylinder tested at 325 psi.

The tip of the glowplug had apparently broken off, it happened a while back seeing as the exposed center is nowhere near fresh looking. At this point, I wonder what is going on in there??? I'm guessing the rings are full of crud, the cylinder walls are good and scored and possibly a bent/cracked valve from the bigger chunks on their way out?? I will re assert that the exhaust is very clean and clear when running, no white smoke MOST of the time, but every so often, you can hear a louder click and see a white puff. If i get on the throttle a bit, it will go away, so is the valve rotating and moving around, working well sometimes and bad others???? as for the piston/rings, anyone think that piece is big enough to punch a hole in the cylinder??? I'm guessing rings and scoring, so... think any of the glowplug is left in the cylinder??? anything to do besides tear it apart???????

Again, I think you have a couple of reasons to stop driving that motor and get a good look at rebuilding it. The GP tip had likely cause piston damagae. Possible cylinder damage as well. The valve is just waiting to kill your engine.

My vote...........rebuild. I'd have the holes sleeved with Melling CSL2274HP sleeves rather than having them bored. Boring the holes will increase the chance of cavitation. Good reading on sleeves in THIS POST. The Melling Catalog is HERE.

Heath

sd2649

Reaction score
Anyone want to buy this thing?? Just kidding. Any way to bypass this cylinder? I am thinking about pulling the fuel line from that cylinder, put it on a spare injectore I have and have the fuel hised back to the fuel tank. No explosion = no risk of dropping valve and no burnt oil, right?????????????? I am knidof a retard when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I just can't rebuild this sucker, I bought it for $800 and figure I could sell it as is for the same, so....... please, and jimmy rigging ideas are very welcomed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle