Duralift pump blew fuse

abfiegen

Reaction score
I've finished the install of a Duralift electric fuel pump and was getting ready to prime to system and start my truck up. When I turned the key the fuel pump did not run. Through a series of electrical tests I determined the culprit to be 12V power from the battery not getting to my relay because the fuse blew. Facet's website advertises the pump as drawing an average of 1.4 amps so I was very surprised when the fuse was the problem. Has anyone had this issue before or have any insight on this problem?

abfiegen

Reaction score
I used a 5 amp fuse and 18 AWG wire. The fuse is in line between the positive terminal of the battery and pin 30 of the relay.

abfiegen

Reaction score
Pin 87 goes to the positive terminal of the pump. The signal comes from the glow plug relay to pin 85. Pin 86 us grounded to the frame.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you only want the pump to run when the glow plugs are on?
no matter though,shouldn't blow the fuse.perhaps its just a dud 5 amp fuse or a bad 30/40 amp relay.so much crap made in China these days.there's no telling.

abfiegen

Reaction score
My understanding is that the glow plug relay has an always hot signal terminal when the truck is in run. The glow plug controller breaks the ground associated with the signal terminal when the glow plugs are up to temp. Instead of breaking the signal and having a constant ground (how I would normally think of a relay) it does the opposite and has a constant signal when the key is in run and breaks ground to disrupt the signal. Correct me if that's wrong but for that reason I'm fairly certain I can get my signal from there.

Regardless, I'll go buy higher quality fuses and see if that solves the problem.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be fast blow fuse. Try a larger slow blow fuse.

Also you may want to actually FUSE the + supply lead to pump as well, close to relay should work.

FYI most tap + off FSS wire.

JM7.3CW

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what you need to feed pin 30 is 12v when in run.if you feed it a constant 12v line,then the pump will always run,regardless whether or not something else tied to the 12v source has it's ground or not.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the glow plug relay has an always hot signal terminal when the truck is in run. The glow plug controller breaks the ground associated with the signal terminal when the glow plugs are up to temp. Instead of breaking the signal and having a constant ground (how I would normally think of a relay) it does the opposite and has a constant signal when the key is in run and breaks ground to disrupt the signal. Correct me if that's wrong but for that reason I'm fairly certain I can get my signal from there.

I believe this is correct. It's why the GP controller will cycle randomly if you have a bad hot connection to it. When it sees the hot signal go away and come back it cycles.