Duralift 40223 fuel pump

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed ( with the help of a professional mech.) a 40223 Duralift elec. fuel pump on my 91 7.3 I.D.I. My truck had become untrustworthy. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. I thought the fuel filters were the prob.,but apparently it was the mechanical fuel pump not working properly. I copied and followed DesertBen44's directions for the installation. I want to thank ALL of you that responded to my plea for help.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting close to doing the same, along with rebuilding both tanks.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea.

I am getting close to doing the same, along with rebuilding both tanks.

I did not check the cond. of my front tank but my rear tank had what one member called the "circle of failure" problem. Ford part# is E5TZ-9J306-BA. It is a piece that fits from the very bottom of the rear tank and connects to the fuel sending unit. Now I know why I couldn't put more than 10 gallons in my rear tank. The tank was always half full. After replacing that, the mech. fuel pump intermittently would malfunction (Airtex). 2ND time to replace it and yes i was warned about not using a OEM pump, but didn't listen. The Duralift pump made a tremendous difference in how the truck cranks up. Two weeks now without a starting failure. I am beginning to get confidence that I won't get stranded again.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My lift pump works fine, but the truck runs out of fuel at the half tank mark. Doing both shower heads, vents and maybe sending units for gauge as I suspect they are not correct. The Duralift is just for peace of mind. I am also toying with the large 38 gallon rear tank idea.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that the sending unit was no longer available and I could not locate an aftermarket sending unit or i would have replaced it. Fortunately the sending unit tested good. The shower head is still available from Ford.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that circle of failure is the fuel pickup "Shower head".

glad you got it running

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that area well. I lived in Mesquite and the Longview/Tyler area for years. I will probably send my sending units off to be repaired, I have the luxury of time and several other vehicles I can use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online