Dual tank switcher valve options...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 19 and 16 gallon tanks, what are my options for getting rid of the switcher valve and building a new setup...

My ideas...

1st idea...Make a "T" and pull off both tanks, then do the same on the return lines but I don't think it would return correctly...

2nd idea...Drill a hole in the bottom of the rear tank and install a bung and a 1/2 inch or bigger fuel line to gravity feed the front tank and run my return to the rear tank so its essentially one big tank...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st idea won't work. When one tank went dry before the other, you are stuck since the "T" would suck air from the empty tank.

Your 2nd idea would work.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to run manual valves. 1 valve for the supply side / 1 valve for the return side. Poke 'em through the cab floor just to the left of the driver's seat.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st idea won't work. When one tank went dry before the other, you are stuck since the "T" would suck air from the empty tank.

Your 2nd idea would work.

Me and dad got thinkin about the second one though...The rear tank will try and fill the front tank full to the level it is, it would actually "pressurize" the lower tank from the weight of the fuel above it and cause it to push right on out the vent tube, atleast in theory it would...

I'm going to run manual valves. 1 valve for the supply side / 1 valve for the return side. Poke 'em through the cab floor just to the left of the driver's seat.

Customer don't want that...I would but he won't...

Any place to get the valve cheaper than 100 bucks?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
WEll, why not just rip the rear tank off, and put a second mid ship tank on the passenger side.

Then do the tank connection system you talked about, one line on the top for air to flow and one lin eon the bottom for fuel to flow. Tanks can be had for cheap....$100 or so.

Speaking of which, I need to buy another rear tank.....GREAT!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and dad got thinkin about the second one though...The rear tank will try and fill the front tank full to the level it is, it would actually "pressurize" the lower tank from the weight of the fuel above it and cause it to push right on out the vent tube, atleast in theory it would...

Think the customer could handle always filling the rear tank first? That might work. If you fill the rear tank first, it's level will be sinking as you move to the front tank, and by the time you get the front tank filled, the pump nozzle would shut off and the rear tank level would not be higher than the front tank, theoretically :sly

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I've got a flatbed! I'm just going to dump both factory tanks and go with a small single, large truck tank ( 50-60 gallons ) under the driver side of the flatbed.:D

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He told me yesterday just to replace the switcher valve with a new one, that makes my life so much easier...

I bypassed the switch valve on the suction side friday and ran it straight to the pump and had the switch on the rear tank and it sucked the rear tank dry and filled the front tank...I was not happy about this...