dual mass??? single mass???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talk price all the time.

$7.50

That's about what it costs to convert your DMF to a SMF via the Lucky Mod.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Mel...... That was something else...... He used a whole bunch of "college words" in that video.......

I am not sure how he got through it with a straight face.......

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that's a typo?

No. No typo. That's about what the bolts will cost you at the hardware store. See the tech article for how to do the conversion.

As for the noise from a T-19 being just as bad as the ZF.... Um... no. Not sure where your getting that idea. For starters, the T-19 runs in 80-90wt. hypoid gear oil. That stuff is like honey. The ZF uses the equivelent of water in comparison. As for using the 6.9 flywheel with the ZF, I do believe I heard someone do that, but I don't recall what was required. The input shaft lenght is different and you will need to do something to compensate.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I admit I've been driving automatic transmissions for too long...(E4OD's and C6's).
found an '89 F250 4x4 with a manual trans...
but folks here seem to despise the dual mass flywheel. Why? Didn't some bright young engineer at Ford think it was a better idea?
So...looking to educate myself here...can anyone point me to some info on this topic please.
thanks,

One of the SMF clutch discs I tried on a 7.3 with a ZF (5-speed) sounded like a rotary hammer at idle. Both the LUK clutch discs I've used were as quiet as the DMF at idle, and that's with the OEM viscosity ATF in the ZF transmission (side note: my limited experience is that in cold weather the ZF shifts hard with thicker oil).

The LUK isn't available for the 6.9, but since you have a 7.3 and a ZF, that's what I'd do. It costs more then the "lucky-mod", but it's also a larger diameter clutch with a better designed pressure plate that requires less pedal pressure.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Oh boy, i keep hearing this clacking/ratteling noise at idle, especially in neutral...and i thought it was just the truck talkin back to me...

last winter i was very rough on the clutch in my truck (especially trying to get out of parking spots and climbing snow piles). plus the occassional clutch dump way back when i first bought it didnt help it seems...

is there a way to check to see if the DMF is letting loose w/o dropping the transmission? the ******* who had the truck before me decided it was a good idea to have the exhaust run in front the inspection cover...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to pull the inspection cover, and then wiggle the clutch back and forth and check how much play it has.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LUK isn't available for the 6.9, but since you have a 7.3 and a ZF, that's what I'd do. It costs more then the "lucky-mod", but it's also a larger diameter clutch with a better designed pressure plate that requires less pedal pressure.
How do you mean about the LuK not being available for the 6.9l? Or, are you referring to the LuK kit not being available for the T-19? FWIW the 6.9l and 7.3l non-turbo can use the same flywheel, and I've been using a LuK SMF (12" clutch) on my 6.9l for over 5 years and 40K miles with no issues whatsoever.

And, I agree with your other point...the Lucky Mod's an inexpensive solution (particularly if you have a DMF, which I didn't when I did my ZF conversion), but if finances allow, I would recommend switching to a single-mass flywheel with a larger diameter clutch...stronger components, and no worries about bolts breaking (which HAS happened to some people who've done the Lucky Mod)...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 6spd's have a SMF, I just did a clutch job on a 2001 F550 a couple months ago at work....Getting the 6spd out was a trick - had to removed the shifter tower to clear the floor...In my old trucks it can be left in place.:rolleyes:....My 91 had an SMF - no noise....My 92 has one - sounds like it's going to grenade at idle in nuetral...LOL......It starts and stops on it's own too as it rattles away.:rotflmao

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you mean about the LuK not being available for the 6.9l? Or, are you referring to the LuK kit not being available for the T-19? FWIW the 6.9l and 7.3l non-turbo can use the same flywheel, and I've been using a LuK SMF (12" clutch) on my 6.9l for over 5 years and 40K miles with no issues whatsoever.

Correct, should have said not available for the 6.9L / T-19 combination.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure most of yall wont agree with me on this, but I found a very cheap way to do this, in fact it was free. My DMF had over an inch of travel so I just welded the DMF together and made my own SMF. Works out because when I put a new clutch in it last year I had a shop put a hub on the rebuilt disc with springs. So it is a very smooth clutch system and I spaced out about 12 welds that about an inch long so it wouldnt warp the fltwheel. Works for me, and maybe anybody else who doesnt feel like pulling the tranny again.

DragRag

Reaction score
I believe the F450's and up came with the SMF. Anything below came with a DMF.

The two F450's I had, that were 1990's were dual mass flywheels so I am not sure that this is correct statement. I believe they were stock clutches, not sure about the newer super duties though.

Also, don't bother trying to use the t19 single mass flywheel and clutch assembly with the ZF5, it's not going to work. The shaft on the ZF5 is larger then the T19's, been there done that. If you are pulling a T19, and you are putting a ZF5 in you will need a new flywheel and clutch set up. I chose to buy the 12.25" set up from autozone, which is a luk. I got the sprung disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, lube, alignment tool, and the new single mass flywheel for a $385 plus tax. It is like velvet compared to the old clutch that was in it, it was stiff as hell. I know I will not have problem cracking my fire wall with this clutch due to the easy pedal. I have not been able to slip it either, even pulling 12000 behind me for a combined weight of over 20k.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Everyone says to convert a ZF to a single mass flywheel but no one talks about price. The cheapest I've seen was $550 for a LUK kit from a company online. Thats pretty expensive. I found out that you can use a Single mass flywheel from a T-19 and 6.9L instead.

I have a 6.9L diesel that I recently converted from a C6 to a T-19 and I have an 85' 7.3L F350 that I am doing the same thing by taking the C6 out except putting a ZF5 behind it. I am going to try the single mass flywheel from the 6.9L first hand.

Also with the noise complaint about the SMF it is no different from a T-19. Infact I think the T-19 is louder than a ZF with a SMF.

If anyone's ever done this let me know.

look up cheaperjeeper in the tech articles he put together a SMF setup mixing 6.9 flywheel with a spring loaded clutch disc from the auto parts store. IIRC he put it together for about 200. not a robust as upgrading to a 12" after market but much cheaper.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one I used. You have to order the pieces seperatly from Autozone in order to get the disk with the springs in it (don't believe the pic on their website). IIRC it was about $180 for the disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I already had the tool to line the whole mess up with. Combine that with less than $10 at the hardware store, and you have an SMF setup.
The disc only has 4 springs in it, so it transfers quite a bit of vibration. I run 2 gallons of 10w-30 motor oil in mine, still makes quite a bit of noise. Just plan on keeping the clutch in at stop lights if it bothers you that much.
On a side note, I've had a couple good laughs when I let out the clutch in neautral at a stop light, and the guy in the car next me looks over like he expects the truck to explode at any second.