dual mass??? single mass???

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There probably was some bright engineers involved in making it. There are over 50 individual pieces in a DMF! :eek: Each one precision designed, with somebody sweating over a hot drawing board getting pencil lead and eraser dust on their fingers. AND... I would be willing to bet the thing was designed... and redesigned.... and tweaked.... and probably a whole team of people wrestled with the thing until they were blue in the face from looking at it. The reality is, it was a huge engineering effort to do one simple thing, and that is to make an alluminum transmission quiet at idle. Because the ZF doesn't use "a real man's gear lube" like the stout case iron T-19 does, there is nothing to keep the gears from bouncing off each other at low RPM with no load. So a SMF on a ZF sounds like an orbital floor sander on a hollow body guitar. Most of us that prefer the simplicity and reliability of the SMF and live with the noise.

The good news however, is that soon a 3rd option will be available! Check it out!
What's Mel talkin aboot here with the 3rd option? Link old and dead

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen a thread on how to load the dmf to test it, can't find it now but seen something about 500 foot pounds? If mine test ok I will run them

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen a thread on how to load the dmf to test it, can't find it now but seen something about 500 foot pounds? If mine test ok I will run them

Have a plan B ready when you pull it out. They wear just like the clutch, so if the clutch is worn out, the flywheel usually is too. The 500ftlb part of the flywheel is the torque limiting part of the DMF. It's down in the center of the flywheel and slips if there is too much power applied to the tranny. I wouldn't think it would give many problems unless it was attached to a high output engine.

The other section of the flywheel is the one that dampens the noise, and this is the one that usually is worn out and fails. It has clutch material and it also has springs with plastic seats. Those plastic seats like to break up and fall out, and then the spring is not far behind coming out also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online