Dual 4" Diameter Stacks

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah :p I hear ya there about the flaps, may not look so bad pointed out like that. I'll have to do some experimentation in the future. Bout those mufflers, i agree with ya, I dont have much room to play with, I was planning on removing everything up to the manifolds, I'll see though. If it turns out to be more trouble than fun, I'll just leave it the way it is, stock :p

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
OH! Some pictures! Yeah I see what ya did there, that would fit a muffler real nice, I would need a huge one either. When I get home at the end of this month I'm gonna get some measurements and what not. I appreciate the pics! Those were helpful!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if you gonna do stacks go like 6 inch stacks. 4 inch just looks silly.........although this is coming from the guy that thinks 99% of the stacks on street trucks looks utterly stupid, but to each his own.

good luck with the project!;Sweet

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ha, thanks man. Yeah, I sized the truck already and 4" actually looked pretty darn good. I hear ya about a lot bein ugly but like ya said, to each his own haha.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned my lesson with my previous truck. I had a flowmaster exhaust with big old dual exhaust pipes sticking out the back along with headers. After smashing the tips going off roading, blowing 4 header gaskets, repairing the header/downpipe flange 3 times, etc. I finally realized it was all just a waste. Looking back at it, I spend about $1300 on just the exhaust modifications/repairs on that one vehicle. Wow what a mistake that was and waste of money.
Luckily the PO installed a 3 inch magnaflow exhaust on my truck. I have to remind myself to leave it alone, because after all......it's just an exhaust pipe lol.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Coming from a guy that used to drive a cummins with flappers and a 6.9 with true dual 5 inch stacks with no mufflers, You do not want flappers the tink tink tink tink tink tink will drive you absolutely nuts. You also want mufflers and to bring the stack above the cab and turn them back, just a little above the cab and the 90 back makes a huge difference on how much noise is transferred to you. Both of those trucks I could barely stand to drive for more than an hour just because of the unbearable cab noise and drone. I would get headaches on long trips. And this is coming from a guy who has a 4 inch straight pipe into a 8 inch tip. Dont get me wrong my truck is loud but being that the exhaust is at the end of the bed it makes the in cab noise completely bearable

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I thought my 5" stacks were huge when I first got them, but after awhile they began to look small. Should the oppurtunity arise I would like to get a set of 6" aussie stacks, but i'm in no hurry.

On a side note, running that exhaust the way I did on that 85 actually gave me more ground clearance than the factory exhaust I replaced. It does give you lots of room for various mufflers as well. I figure even if you dont want stacks, it's a pretty nifty way to run duals out the sides.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another stack thread, interesting seeing all the different comments pro/con etc and experiences both good and bad.

IMHO and this is just mine, I'm in no way in favor of them for a LOOK or performance UNLESS you are foirding a creek and need to keep the exhaust above the flow of water.

Kinda just find them well fugly, however I've seen a few on the occasional truck that does look and sound sharp

Now doing this as a true dual I would still recommend a connection between them to keep the drone down like an H in a gasser!

JM2CW

Al

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I haven't ran stacks. My concerns would be the taking up of bed space and getting soot on the truck and what ever you are towing. I think a good thought out set of stacks makes any diesel sound better, especially the IDI's. Turbo the thing and go straight pipe all the way.:sly Even N/A I'd try straight pipe first just to see and cut a muffler in if/when you decide its too loud. I'd also try turn outs to push the soot to the sides, to help keep what you are towing a bit cleaner and follow the advise given to keep the in cab noise to a minimum. Good luck, I am guessing that you will like them.:peelout

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine what a straight pipe would sound like on my truck. The magnaflow is plenty loud enough for me. The goal here is to free up a little more flow.....once you've done that, the rest is eye glitter lol.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
There we go, that's what I'm talkin about. I think ill try those first, they're fairly inexpensive to, and they have the size I need. That's an awesome website, thanks man.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a single 8" stack no muffler on my N/A 7.3.

any pics? Do you have it on the passenger side or drivers?

I'm watching this one closely as I want to throw a stack on mine, mostly to get the exhaust fumes away from directly under the cab and (IMO) look badass while doing it haha