DT360: The beginning

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I have 0 expertise on all this, but I found this info clicking around, looks like gates has 2 water pumps with similar numbers

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4591416&cc=3296831&jnid=415&jpid=0

and 44058HD
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4590882&cc=3296831&jnid=415&jpid=1

the non HD one looks shorter than yours, but its really hard to tell by the pictures alone. Be cool to get one in your hands and see if its any better, and verify the bolt pattern is the same.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think of trying to find one on RockAuto. Thanks!

I'll see if I can track down dimensions, with a little luck I can just buy a Gates. That would be much easier. ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ag balancer finally showed up!

For those of you who have heard of the difference between the bus and ag pulleys, but have not seen it, here's the photographic proof:

You must be registered for see images attach

The one on the left is the harmonic balancer that came on the engine I have (out of a 1990 International school bus) and the one on the right is off of some sort of International tractor made in the late '80s. The listed shipping weight on the ag balancer was 22 lbs. I'd be willing to bet the balancer on the left weighs near 45 lbs. It's stupid big.

Here's a couple more shots so you can see more clearly the difference in size:

Bolting the ag balancer on will gain me 2 1/4"! That doesn't sound like a lot, but it will be part of the reason I won't have to cut up the firewall. Factory DT360 look, here I come! ;Sweet

Of course, modifications are not without unforeseen problems. And here's where mine begins:

If you look closely, the timing marking pin sticks out of the block at roughly the 11 o'clock position (relative to the crankshaft).

Here's the diameter of the back of the bus balancer:

And here's the diameter of the back of the ag balancer:

The ag balancer is about 1 1/4" larger in diameter.

So here's what happens when I mock it up:

Clearly, that ain't gonna work... Any ideas?

EDIT: I searched around for the Gates 44058 dimensions. I found one on Amazon that claimed 23.1 cm, a quick Google conversion told me that works out to 9.09 inches. That's longer than the one I have. I'll look some more this weekend, but I have a feeling a custom water pump is going to be necessary...

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After searching around on the Google for over an hour, I found this: www.thedieselfiles.com/ford/1985/VINcodes.pdf

Turns out, my F350 was originally equipped with a 351 4V and was 2WD. Interesting, because when I bought it, it had a 460. I had suspected that it wasn't a factory 4X4, but now I know for sure. I'm pretty certain Ford did not make a crew cab 4X4 dually in 1985.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out, my F350 was originally equipped with a 351 4V and was 2WD. Interesting, because when I bought it, it had a 460. I had suspected that it wasn't a factory 4X4, but now I know for sure. I'm pretty certain Ford did not make a crew cab 4X4 dually in 1985.
They didn't...AFAIK, Ford never made a crew-cab 4x4 DRW pickup between 1980 and 1997; IIRC the only DRW 4x4's Ford built in that timeframe were chassis-cab trucks with a single cab.

It seems to me that it would be far easier to do a DRW conversion on a 4x4 than it would be to convert a 2WD to 4x4...but, if it was done right, run it! ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the 4WD conversion was done pretty well. I should get off my butt and post some pics of the truck... maybe this weekend.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
On the 466 I cut off the factory timing pin and made my own tab. Then we marked the pulley at TDC and figured out the diameter to place our timing marks.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the tab. I'll have to get a updated one.

What did you make it out of and how did you attach it to the timing cover?

Also, I was thinking if I cut off the factory timing tab and somehow attached a new timing tab directly in line with the factory one (just further away from the crank), i could use the factory timing marks on the ag pulley. Would this work?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I used a bent piece of sheetmetal and spot welded it on. Not sure if they're the same degrees, or same tdc location. They're was no timing marks on my pulley. It's easy to find tdc and mark it.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see in the last pic of post # 33 the ag pulley i got from Hines equipment has timing marks.

I'm having a brain fart at the moment: if I set cylinder # 1 to TDC, the 0* mark on the bus balancer I pulled off this engine should line up to the factory marking pin, regardless of what the ignition timing is, right?

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After searching around a little, I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6eAWWvrPA

I was going to do a half-ass finding TDC method, but after realizing how crucial timing is to diesel combustion, I decided to basically use the method shown in the video. It'll take me a couple of days to get the material I need to do it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
That's exactly what we did. Then get the circumference of the pulley and you can figure out exactly where to mark each degree. We went up to 30. Some running and tweaking we settled on 27 degrees.