DT360 into 1991 F350

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
What size intercooler is that? Seems like its doing a great job helping keep those egts in check.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Got the fan shroud made and fan mounted. Used a Volvo fan, relay setup and air flaps. Worked out great and only $33 into the whole setup!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Never seen flaps on a fan shroud. Is that to let more air through at speed?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much air does that fan move? It sure looks small in there. Have you put it to the test yet? I really like the look of the shroud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Supposedly around 3000 cfm, but that's just random posts I found on the internet. It's cooled it idling in the driveway and creeping through town. Hopefully it'll keep up with the air conditioning on in stand still traffic when it's 90 out and I'm towing.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 360 have less cooling requirements than the 7.3 in the same truck under the same conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford guy got it. The direct injection is more efficient. Less heat transfer into the cooling system.

I did a little Googling and, sure enough, that is correct. Because the combustion process starts in the precombustion chamber (which is in the head of an IDI), it transfers more heat into the cooling system. The DT360 design is direct injection, which eliminates the precombustion chamber. It also reduces the compression ratio, which eliminates the need for glow plugs.

It seems to me that if you want to build a mechanical "ultimate tow pig," you just can't beat a DT360. Tons of power and less heat buildup (compared to an IDI) as a result of the engine design. ;Sweet

Now I just need to get my Bronco finished so I can continue my 360 build.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Same injection design in the Cummins. My friend's won't build heat either. Most of the heat goes out the tailpipe.

And that's one thing I've yet to wrap my head around, which I'm sure it's got something to do with the precup, but when you drop the compression on an idi they're impossible to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726