DT 360 swap - the planning stages

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Cynthiana ky

Well shoot. That's a bit of distance between you and me. But, not crazy. Would love to see your rig. Keep us posted on the progress.

Mike, I've seen so many different starters on those DT's. I've seen the same starter we use on these IDI's (the Nippondenso style) listed for the DT's and some really big starters as well. The one that was on my DT is quite a bit larger than the one on my IDI's. But, I'd bet with the lower compression ratio of the DT, it'd probably do a good job getting it to light off.

Heath

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most of them had a SAE 2 starter? which is huge. I have a spare denso IDI starter, so there's a good chance I'll just use that. IDI is more displacement + higher compression, so it should work just fine.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life happened, priorities shifted, and I ended up selling the DT360.
Even if I didn't sell it, it would still be sitting in my garage. Before the swap even began, there was a long list of mods to do. Electric fans, Intercooler, hydroboost, SAS needed to happen first. Only the SAS is left to do (currently have a set of axles sitting in the garage getting rebuilt).
The more I crawled around my truck with a tape measure, the more complicated the swap was getting. To be honest, by the time I chopped on the frame and fire wall to get it sitting where I wanted, I might as well just slam a DT466 in there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that the mounting was proving problematic. Sorry you had to give up on the project. I'm still looking for someone to actually do one of these!

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting thread. sorry if I resurrect it. going to look at a dt360 and 10 speed trans this afternoon, but he says its a 1985 model. thats the door that was on the truck at least. I missed out on one of these in august with a 6spd on the back. trying to make sure it IS a dt360. pics he has up aren't very clear this was the best one.

Attachments

• dt360.jpg
    dt360.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 14

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting thread. sorry if I resurrect it. going to look at a dt360 and 10 speed trans this afternoon, but he says its a 1985 model. thats the door that was on the truck at least. I missed out on one of these in august with a 6spd on the back. trying to make sure it IS a dt360. pics he has up aren't very clear this was the best one.
Looks like a 466 from the pic. The valve cover has a dimpled rib in it from what I can tell. The 360's had raised ribs on the valve cover. The 466 is still a swap option on the Superduty generation where they have more room under the hood.

There are also a couple of 360 builds including mine documented here in the conversion section.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IIRC, the 466 is about 42" to back of the head and the 360 is about 3" shorter. Maybe somebody else can confirm.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it was a wasted trip, it was a dt 466. too early in 1986 buld date to be a 360. I scraped some grime off and found a 210hp on it >was the lowest number on the tag>or what was left of the tag. I was a little dissapointed , but when I got hoem from the trip I posted a wanted at for a DT or DTA360 on kijiji.

wife enjoyed the drive so it wasn't a complete loss. my project truck is a 2008+ superduty 4x4 crewcab chassis, and I'm mounting the last of my 67-72 Ford parts on. 4 door cab and 8 foot bed. I have time on my hands. have a few years to retirement and want it built for trip at retirement. If I can't find a DT360 I will probably use one of my 7.3 powerstrokes . I've been holding onto my las NP205 remote too, so I have powertrain options.

the #s on the DT360 are so impressive to me , that is the way i'm leaning. :cool:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I don't think those HP numbers mean much anymore when you fiddle with the injection pump and turbo. I think my DT360 was only rated for 180 out of the factory.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think those HP numbers mean much anymore when you fiddle with the injection pump and turbo. I think my DT360 was only rated for 180 out of the factory.
Pretty sure he means the numbers people are getting out of the DT350's when they hotrod them. ;Poke

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean the HP numbers, LOL i was talking about the specs OEM and longevity possibilities if left close to stock.
You must be registered for see images attach
this is my daily, stock stock stock pulling within its capabilities 7.3 powerstroke with over 400,000 miles. could be 500 or 600 who knows but it can do it and will continue to haul 10,000lbs + . the Dt360 sounds like a very stout and rebuildable diesel that is why it impresses me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online