DT 360 swap - the planning stages

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In various Cummins conversions, I've sen a few different ideas that worked for using a IDI tach sensor;
One guy bolted a 54 tooth saw blade on the front of his harmonic damper.
Another used a hacksaw and carefully laid out and cut 53 saw blade width channels around the circumference of the damper.
A 53 tooth sprocket off of the rear wheel of a dirt bike would work also.
I'm thinking of just cutting 53 slots in one of the pulleys.
The DT's have a ginormous damper, with 3 V-belt pulleys built in to the back side of it. The backside of the rear pulley (closest to the block) has timing marks on it; there's lots of room left over to cut some grooves somewhere else on that thing.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed you said the water pump was too high to mount a mechanicle fan. All the DTs I've seen from the dt360 to ht570 the fan didn't mount to the water pump the water pump was on the lower passanger side of the front cover just woundering if yours is difrent.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the pic below - water pump is obviously missing, but you can see the top of the water pump is just barely lower than the top of the valve cover.

Attachments

• 5er 217.jpg
    5er 217.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 172

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Man o man.. Look at all 6 of those injector line clamps. Must be some shakeing going on there. Nice looking engine too. Even nicer looking lifting bar on top of it...:sly:thumbsup:

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say 4" body lift so the fan shroud will match up with the pump.

DenverKing

Reaction score
My name is Denver and I will be putting a dt-360 in my 97 f-350 auto psd four wheel drive. I'll be using a medium duty tranny. I'm so glad to have found this thread. Any updates on anyone's current conversions?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here.....
I bought this thing during a 6 month stint of unemployment. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. All I've done to it so far is clean the gallons of grease off of it in preparation for a paint job.
Been working now for about 2 months, and will get my certification in the next couple of weeks which means a substantial raise so I'll be able to start buying parts for this thing.
I really won't know how well everything fits together until I actually stuff the engine in it's hole, but I can say that it looks like a body lift will be required even with the ZF5. The whole tranny is going to have to move back about 4". I think a 2" body lift should be enough. With a medium duty trans along with it's monster bellhousing adapter, it could very possibly take even more; unless one were to cut the engine crossmember out and lower the whole works down between the frame rail.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Denver and I will be putting a dt-360 in my 97 f-350 auto psd four wheel drive. I'll be using a medium duty tranny. I'm so glad to have found this thread. Any updates on anyone's current conversions?

Welcome Denver. Where in KY are ya? I'm in Greenville. I've got a DT project in the works myself. Hope to check yours out someday.

Mike,
I've been wondering if there was anything new with the DT360 repower. Hope to get going on my repower sometime this year. My 6.9 drama/rebuild has squirreled away all my time and truck/toy resoruces. I had plans of have that DT466 sitting in the frame by now, but it is what it is.

Heath

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably get in gear once the summer gets here. My current setup of the NA IDI leaves a lot to be desired when I tow my big 5er around. I'd like to turbo the IDI for the sake of comparison to the DT, but the current lack of power more than justifies my want to swap to a different engine. The wife was less than impressed on our last trip through the mountains. My 5 year daughter would ask "Dad, why are we stopping" every time I hit a big hill.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here.....
I bought this thing during a 6 month stint of unemployment. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. All I've done to it so far is clean the gallons of grease off of it in preparation for a paint job.
Been working now for about 2 months, and will get my certification in the next couple of weeks which means a substantial raise so I'll be able to start buying parts for this thing.
I really won't know how well everything fits together until I actually stuff the engine in it's hole, but I can say that it looks like a body lift will be required even with the ZF5. The whole tranny is going to have to move back about 4". I think a 2" body lift should be enough. With a medium duty trans along with it's monster bellhousing adapter, it could very possibly take even more; unless one were to cut the engine crossmember out and lower the whole works down between the frame rail.

So are you planning on using the Carson Stauffer adapters then for the ZF5?

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read another article of how someone made their own adapter for a cummins I think the same technique could be used. By making an adapter to have the 6.9/7.3 engine adapter bolt to the DT360 block and then machine out a spacer if needed. So far in my corner of the world I have only seen 1 DT360 for sale and it was way over priced in my opinion still looking for something.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't stomach spending the money on the adapter and flywheel, so I plan on making my own adapter out of 1/2" steel and then buy a DT flywheel and have it trimmed down to fit a standard IDI or Cummins clutch.
My dad has a nice mill and lathe I can use, but the lathe isn't big enough to swing the 17" DT flywheel, so I'll have to source that out.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have a step machined in it to accept a ring gear off a IDI, PSD, or Cummins. Haven't figured out which clutch/starter I want to use yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online