Drove the F350 today after the 2wd to 4wd swap

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference. I'm glad I did it, but I'll never do this job again.

I'm no stranger to hard work and big projects, but this swap took the cake!

Thanks for the help here, I really do appreciate it.

Greg

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea, now it is time to show off the hard work

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am putting the bumper on this afternoon and I'll take a pic or two and post 'em up.

Had a scare earlier, the trans wouldn't shift out of 1st, and then it would pop into neutral at a stop light.

Turns out the MPLS was bad on the trans. I just swapped the other MLPS I had on the 2wd tranny and everything is 100% kosher now.

Greg

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya on the big project, a pile of work is an under-statement to say the least. It's worth it though when your in the mud/snow for the first time.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's what the truck looked like before:

You must be registered for see images attach

here's what it looked like during:

Here's what it looks like now:

The swap was much more involved than I thought it was going to be, but the truck is now twice as cool as I imagined, too! It was worth every busted knuckle.

Next is a set of wheels and tires, but I gotta save up some $$$ before that happens.

Greg

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking rig :thumbsup: , I really like the crew/single rear wheel 1 tons, and green is my favorite color. I agree that you need a set of wheels to complete the transformation, hopefully you don't write off looking into a set of stock aluminum Ford wheels. Search craigslist for some stockers, I've got two sets that I paid $100 and $125 for (both came with center caps, which are worth more than the wheels). They definitely made my truck transform from it's previous farm truck look.

Great before and afters ;Sweet .

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
thats a sweet lookin rig, i agree i love the SRW crew cabs. even got one myself. duallys work well but i have never really liked the look of them.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words, guys. I am in fact looking for some stock Ford aluminum wheels, but they're scarce around here and the caps are even harder to come by.

I have found several aftermarket wheels that look very similar to the Ford ones, and I may go that route instead.

As for the size of the tires, I am contemplating upsizing a little. In the pic the truck has 285's on it. I was thinking about 315's, but I'm not sure how thee truck would look.

Does anyone have a pic of their 4x4 riding on 315 size tires? Any suggestions on tire size?

Thanks again,

Greg

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta convert my F350 to 4x4 too, them mud-crazey kids don't really take well to the "winch yer ass out the mud and on the dry, then I can tow ya home" line, and winter driving can get real interesting when snow falls good and deep. I'm thinking of using Dana 50 TTB and a divorced transfer case tho, as Dana 60 axles are usually ungodly expensive and there ain't no way in hell I'm able to afford a 4x4-specific tranny any time soon. When I'm gonna do all that tho, ain't got no clue, won't be any time soon for sure.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have 9.00R16 Michelins on my '95 F350 - no lift. They are worn down to 35" now. It looks subtle, until you see the 2nd pic. The blue truck on the far right is also an F350 4x4, but with 235/85R16s instead.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

BTW: I'm really interested in the 2wd-to-D60 swap. My E350 needs it. I can't stand the wander, bumpsteer, and odd tire wear. Even without a transfer case it would be a huge improvement. Did you look at using the 05+ front ends? I'm wondering if that's an easier swap since they use coils already.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u2slow, if you don't really care for 4x4 drivetrain, but want a solid fron axle to get rid of the TTB bad traits, have you thought of the SuperDuty front axle? Tis a solid I-beam axle, big truck style, and will likely fit your van better cause it won't lift it and move the already pretty high center of gravity.

Also, where can one get the 9.00R16 XLs, they got discontinued AFAIK...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.