Drove some new trucks...

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
OK, I drove some new trucks over the last few days. All DC 2500's, all auto's. One Hemi, just for fun, the rest Cummins. The Hemi was definitely faster empty, but for towing, durability and fuel milage the cummins is the way to go. The interior space on the Mega was really nice. I thought I was ready to buy a Mega till I tried to park it. It needs some room to manuever. This may be a problem for me, as I have to manuever trailers thru tight parking areas as part of my business. So I went back today to drive some Quad cabs.

I found that the 4wd trucks seem to require a little more turning radius than the 2wd version. Has anyone else noticed this? I didn't have a measuring tape, I just made a tight turn thru a puddle then got out and walked off the distance for each truck.

The the 2wd QC turned tighter than the 2wd Mega (duh), with the 4wd QC somewhere in between. Opinions?

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
Anybody spent some time in both the leather 40/20/40 split bench front seat and the leather bucket front seats that can give me a comparison of the two? I like the usefulness of the 40/20/40 bench, but the buckets may be more comfortable at the end of long haul. My test rides were much too short for my back and butt to start complaining. Opinions? Thanks.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok...for the first question of turning radious. 2wd's turn sharper due to the fact the dont have axle u-joints that would bind up during a very sharp turn, thus, they cant have the 4wd's turning as sharp. if you were to remove the steering stops and have the 4wd turn much sharper it would tear havock on the axle u-joints.
as for seating, i have always been extremely fond of the 40/20/40 seat. the center console is a great place to store paperwork..(you say its for a business) and you can actually get plugs installed inside the console for a laptop. it also serves as the best designed armrest known to man. leather imo is very uncomfortable...especially on long hauls.
i worked for a dodge dealer as a mechanic...so i spent alot more time in these seats than i wished to.lol.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
it also serves as the best designed armrest known to man.

I love that center console. Lots of storage, makes a great armrest, and the surface seems really grippy. I put my XM remote on it and it doesn't move. Saves me from having to reach for it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
killer said:
I love that center console. Lots of storage, makes a great armrest, and the surface seems really grippy. I put my XM remote on it and it doesn't move. Saves me from having to reach for it.
i drove a flowerstroke today and the center didnt flip down...it almost felt wrong....its kinda wierd, but you get used to the simplest things...a damn center console armrest.

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The U-joint thing makes perfect sense on the turning radius, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or it was my imagination.

On the seats, I agree that cloth is more comfortable than leather, but I don't think I can get a Laramie w/o leather. And it has to be a Laramie to get dual zone AC controls. Never owned a vehicle with leather, but my experience in other vehicles was that it seemed hot (temperature). It sounds like the concensus is 40/20/40. That was my choice also, but the only truck I've found around here that meets all my other requirements has the bucket seats.

It meets ALL of my other selections except seating and I was wondering if I should try to cut a deal or keep looking. I can afford to wait a few months and order an '07, but I'm always leary of buying the first run of any new engine or transmission and the '07 will have both. Opinions? Thanks

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
Oh yes, I'm buying it for my business. I have a mobile business installing marine electronics on boats. I'll be manuevering boats around and I'll also have an enclosed work trailer and I try to park it as close to my work as possible. This often requires some mauevering thru crowded boat sales or service back lots. Of course it'll be pulling my boat or travel trailer on weekends.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
work with the dealer...i know at our dealership if we couldnt locate a truck for someone with the options they wanted, we would switch out parts from truck to truck. for someone else the bucket seats/leather would be an "upgrade", to your use and comfort the buckets/leather would be a nuisance, maybe theylle work with you on it...theyll be able to jack the price up on another truck because you dont want the "upgraded seat package". know what i mean?

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 40/20/40 Leather and they are pretty comfortable. They were a little stiff at first, but they are softening up nicely and they clean up very easily. Scotty

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
Does any one the particulars of the "On the Job" incentives for business owners? I know they give a $300 allowance off the top, but the website also lists a $500 credit each towards an exhaust brake, tool box, and side steps or running boards. Can these be combined or is this an either/or deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel