dripping from clutch inspection cover

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck i have some dripping coming from the clutch inspection cover, anyone know what could cause that? is it typical of something this old?

I do notice when i shift it, if i dont let the clutch out really fast, it shakes the whole truck.

Keep in mind, Ive never driven a truck like this before, My last car was a 06 focus 5speed manual, and of course that shifted very differently, so maybe the shaking is just my fault.

input appriciated

thanks

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Engine oil or gear oil? Could be valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, CDR, rear main, trans seal etc...With something that old, a leaker is common.

Best bet it to clean it off and keep an eye on it to see where its coming from.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil or gear oil? Could be valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, CDR, rear main, trans seal etc...With something that old, a leaker is common.

Best bet it to clean it off and keep an eye on it to see where its coming from.

its coming from the clutch inspection cover

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my truck i have some dripping coming from the clutch inspection cover, anyone know what could cause that? is it typical of something this old?

I do notice when i shift it, if i dont let the clutch out really fast, it shakes the whole truck.

Keep in mind, Ive never driven a truck like this before, My last car was a 06 focus 5speed manual, and of course that shifted very differently, so maybe the shaking is just my fault.

input appriciated

thanks

What is dripping....coolant or oil, if oil can you determine if it's gear or engine oil?

If coolant it could be headgasket leaking or even a block core plug/freeze plug. If engine oil could be rear main, valve cover, pressure sending unit and maybe a couple other spots. If gear oil, its the transmissions front seal though I find that one highly unlikely.

The chatter/shake you describe sounds to me like oil on the trucks clutch to me.

We need to know more specifically what fluid this is to help isolate your issue further.

Thanks

Al

sootman73

Reaction score
You should be able to pull that cover off and that might allow you to look at where the oil is coming from. If its on the trans side of the clutch then its your trans seal. If it runs down the motor side of the flywheel then its your rear main seal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cleaning off the area above the rear of the engine may tell you that the leak is from another higher up area. Many times something leaks on the fuel system under the intake manifold. Then that fuel combines with any oils trapped in the intake valley pan. Now at the back of that pan is a drain hole. Anything draining thru that will run down the passenger side only and drip off the starter and trans bellhousing. Look at the injecters. See if any wetness is seen. That will be the leak.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One way to tell if teh chatter is oil on the clutch is to pop the cover and with the angine off have someone hold the pedal down and spray brake cleaner up in there, then rotate it over and do again, repeate till you are fairly sure you have cleaned it all over then fire up and take a short drive, if the shake and chatter goes away, it was oil on the clutch, so that at least rules out major clutch flywheel problems ( usually a 6.9 is fairly immune to the big problems in that department aside from the standard clutch falling apart type problems )
If you arent sure how to tell teh difference between the different lubes, open up the fill hole on the tranny and dip your finger in there , once you get a good whiff of it, the smell in unmistakable
After that you should be able to easily tell the difference in what is leaking down there. Fuel smells like fuel, if it smells sweet it's antifreeze Cant always go by colour after it all gets mixed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7