Downpipe.......is it worth it?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I had a local diesel shop order me a downpipe for my truck. Not sure on what the diameter is but I think it is around 3". Anyway the pipe is a single piece and has the fittings on the ends and costs $115. The guy that ordered it for me said he wasnt really impressed for that price. Which brings me to my question........Is it worth it? Will I get a significant sound difference (more sound the better) . Does anyone have one on a 7.3 with factory turbo to let me know?

ramon f350

Reaction score
I dont know about the sound but i know that it will definetly breathe better than the stock pipe that is all crinckled up so it may make some more noise let us know how it works out

Ramon

pafixitman

Reaction score
Can't tell you if it was worth it or not since I never ran the factory set up. The factory DP is 2.25" and crimped down to about 1 1/2" at the bend. Click here to see.

I upgraded the housing, elbow and dp prior to install.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as pat said--otherwise the downpipe alone will get you nothing--the cast outlet side of the turbo is 2.25 as pat said--mighty restrictive---also--when you do all three pieces--get a pyro-and trans-and boost--and turn that ***** up--and hang on--what a diff--keep boost to 12 lbs--and pyro below 1250--

ajd257

Reaction score
I dont know how much diff it made in noise because when I changed the DP I also replaced the rest of of the pipe with 4 inch striaght thru. ;Sweet If you have never seen a factory DP I gaurantee that as soon as you saw one you would want to get rid of it. Extremely restricive. When I got my old one out I was almost amazed at how necked down it is. Im sure that by changing the elbow you would get more out of a new DP but I didnt have the money for all that, Im happy with the changes just repipeing it did. I would at least go ahead and put a good flowing DP on it.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the factory set up, the down pipe is 2.25 and crimped at the firewall to around 1 - 1.25 inches. Any improvement to that will be a plus. When the down pipe is installed they will have to "modify" the firewall ( use a heavy walled 2 inch pipe to pry the lip down. Get a min clearange of .375. If I were you I would have got the out-let housing for the turbo, ($$) but worth it. Make sure that the rest of the exhaust is at least 3 inch with a non restrictive muffler (straight thru) or no muffler if you like the noise. Then look at your intake, the stock is a joke. you need to get more air. The motto for diesels "MORE AIR IN - MORE EXHAUST OUT"

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Now your truck is a 94 it is falling apart.I bet you are putting around $500+ a month just to keep it running. Now you tell us if it is worth putting a downpipe on, or buying a NEW truck with a downpipe already on :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
Now your truck is a 94 it is falling apart.I bet you are putting around $500+ a month just to keep it running. Now you tell us if it is worth putting a downpipe on, or buying a NEW truck with a downpipe already on :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Ummmm.....this is the basement....there are just some things darksiders just plain don't understand. :draw :draw :draw :draw :draw

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess they have nothing better to discuss in there own forum. :rolleyes:

ramon f350

Reaction score
they are just jealous that our trucks can be fixed rather easily where they have to take theirs to the stealership because of all the computer stuff

Ramon

ajd257

Reaction score
deanj said:
When the down pipe is installed they will have to "modify" the firewall ( use a heavy walled 2 inch pipe to pry the lip down. Get a min clearange of .375.

Everyone told me the same thing, but I didnt have to bend a thing, I even had the heat wrapping on the DP when I put it in, now dont get me wrong, it was a little snug getting the pipe around that bend, but once it was in there it had clearance. The DP would certainly make a diff. I got mine from Banks Maybe my truck is the exeption to the rule but I did no bending of my firewall.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you were lucky, all 3 that we have done required a "little tap" to get good clearance. All were with the ATS out-let, down pipe and complete exhaust. With that and the intake mods sure wakes them up.

ramon f350

Reaction score
dean you speak of intake mods what exactly can you do to the intake to make more power?

Ramon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert