DOT question?

Truckie

Reaction score
I haven't herd this rule till the other day, maybe some of ya can help me here.
I don't know if it is just a Pennsylvania DOT law or it is a national DOT law. That if you have a passenger in you commercial truck that person must either have a CDL permit or a CDL license?
Can someone shed some light on this for me? I cant find the answer any where I look here on the Internet.
Thanks.

Mike

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
If it isn't total bs, it's just a PA thing. We have drivers that take their wife/ kids with them. They just have to sign a release for the insurance carrier.

Sbrem

Reaction score
I have never heard of that. I kind of doubt its true anywhere. Makes no sense.

Stephen

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
"Sorry Ma'am...you can't ride this bus unless you have a CDL"......?????

Sounds like a real load of BS! But for PA, that could be.

contrygrl1979

Redneck Babe!
Reaction score
Well who ever said that was full of crap. If that was the case no one would ever take anyone in the truck with them. Well my D.O.T book says nothing of the sort!

Truckie

Reaction score
Iv looked all over and talked to a bunch of people and they all say the same thing bull &hit. This has been an on going argument the last coupple of days with one of the :idiot: I haul with. He told me he knows because he wrote the D.O.T. book for Pa, I asked him if wrote the D.O.T. book for Pa than he should be able to show me the rule. I also asked him why he got red tagged the other day, he supposed to be a super trucker mechanic, well in his mind he's done all this.
The only stipulation I have herd and found was something about hauling hazardous materials that the passenger must be hazmat certified. I don't keep up much on that stuff because I don't haul hazmat.
Thanks for the info. It was just one of those things I wanted to clarify and be cretin of.

Mike

Last edited:

Brickman

Reaction score
I will bet a $5 that it has to do with Insurance rather than law.

Our commercial insurance states all passengers must be immediate family members or have a current valid CDL.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard that one and I live/drive in PA.

I'll see if I can't get an answer. problem is, most DOT jokers don't know the right answer, either.

Brickman

Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Never heard that one and I live/drive in PA.

I'll see if I can't get an answer. problem is, most DOT jokers don't know the right answer, either.

Good luck, if you ask 10 DOT goobers the same question you will get 10 different answers.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

AgoodAmerican

Reaction score
Well just a word from a old trucker been at it 42 year's. Never heard of a state (DOT) its a fed parts 95 book. If this joker said he wrote it he is full of him self. If you own the truck take anyone you want if your Ins. is ok with it. If you drive or lease to a comp. you go by their rules. Some let you take wife or kids over the age of 10 or 12. As for hazmat your the only that has to it. You might like to look at this site.

http://idodac.com/:shake: