door handle

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So the drivers door handle has pulled out of the sheet metal of the door. Any way to fix this short of replacing the door?

I had a thought of welding a plate to the door to reinforce the sheet metal. Why did they make that door so thin?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Cause they're idiots.....That is a major problem with the cable driven door handles. The door on my Flareside did that and I ended up putting a new piece in and sandwiching it with bigger pieces.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I welded a washer in place on my door then fixed the cause of the problem by tightening up the cable so you don't have to pull so hard to get the latch to open

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will mention, by the way - for those of us that didn't know it, you can get metal handles from the dealership and some parts shops. I'd broken three or four of the plastic ones before I thought to ask about metal. They're crappy pot metal, but at least it's something.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
so my truck has a door linkage not a cable, but the door is made out of 28 gauge metal.

I think the spring is way too much though and thats adding stress on the sheetmetal.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I will mention, by the way - for those of us that didn't know it, you can get metal handles from the dealership and some parts shops. I'd broken three or four of the plastic ones before I thought to ask about metal. They're crappy pot metal, but at least it's something.

The metal handles were factory on 80-86 trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726