Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ok, Here's what happened,..I got it on the road last night and was able to drive it home,.bout 17 miles mostly highway.

The thing was Violently Fast! Compared to my old worn out pump. I knew that it was way overfueled since I keep looking the headlights behind me at about 1/2 throttle. So I actually took it easy driving it home, never floored it once, just rolled into it a few times.the power was amazing!

On the way back to the shop this morning we had a little snow and the roads were pretty icy, Now it is light out and I can see exactly how much smoke this thing was putting out. It was a lot!. I have a 30 PSI Boost gauge, and with the old pump I could peg it pretty easily, with the new pump ******* 30 psi was almost instantaneous, and would peg HARD. Keep in mind that I never FLOORED it,..just rolling in the throttle maybe 2/3rds.

So on the highwaay this morning I was about 2 miles from my exit. I was going about 50 mpoh in 5th gear and wanted to roll into the throttle a little to see if I could break the back tires loose checking to see how slipery the highway was. So when I did, I think I lugged the engine a little and got under the turbo, as it spooled up I heard a couple of POPS, and let off the throttle, It still ran fine.

When I got to the shop I undid did some pump tweaks, Turned the fuel screw out one full turn, then took it for a spin,..still too much smoke, turned the star wheel up 3/4 turn ( it was down 1,1/2 turn), took it for another 1/2 mile spin,..still too much smoke, Turned the fuel screw out another full turn, took it for a spin and it was just about right. Well when I got back from that spin, I popped the hood and saw that my radiator fill tank was bubbling over and the rad cap was leaking,... Right then I know what that pop was, Head Gasket,..

Not much to do after that but pull the head,..Never done one on a Cummins before, but it went well. I already have a full head gasket kit, so I should be all set on parts. I got it off in about 2 hours, and sure enough, piston number 2 had popped.

Monday Ill get it all cleaned up, have the head checked and start putting it back together.

Will I need new Head Bots or these reusable?

If anyone has any other tips for this procedure you would like to share I would appreciate any input.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Darrin, The nanny goat was using the original head bolts when I sold her. We did NOT replace them when the head was redone.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ok Been working on the Head Gasket job off and on the last cople of days, here is what I found.

I blew cylinder number 2, you can see the black soot blowing past the rings to the exhaust side of the motor:

You must be registered for see images

Also on that same cylinder it appears that it was also leaking to the head bolt, and looks like it has been doing that for quite some time. Take a look at this pic, and you can see the crud. The motor has had a ticking noise that I don't know what it is, maybe it was combustion pressure leaking into the head bolt area,..?

Here is a pic of the top of the block showing the path of the combustion:

Here are the head bolts, the black sooted up one in the center is what came out of that hole:

Got the block cleaned up, chased all of the head bolt threads in the block, new head gaskte ready to drop the head on:

Getting the head ready, still need to drill out a couple of broken manifold bolts out of the head.

We measured the head bolts, and a few of them have been stretched, so instead of risking them I bought all new Cummins Head Bolts:

Should be able to get it all back together tomorrow.

Still no snow in the forecast!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sense u bought new bolts anyways. Why not just upgrade to studs? Was there that much of a price difference.?

Yup, $90 for bolts, $325 plus shipping for Studs. I don't plan on going over 35 PSI, same as Big Ed, and these will handle 40-45 psi no problem with stock bolts and head gaskets.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good call Darin. Cummins (at least on the 6bt) recomends replacing the head bolts with new ones each time the head comes off.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well Droopy is back on the road again. Drove it home tonight. I turned the fuel screw down a little more and I think I like where it is now as far as performance, power and smoke is concerned. Also the boost is more controllable. It ran great, the heater worked, and the motor didnt get warm.

What did happen tho is the drivers side of the rad never got warm, just the passenger side where the top rad hose goes into. It is almost like it is not circulating coolant,.Gonna have to check into this and see if I can figure out if there is something wrong or not.
My Aftermarket Temp Gauge did not survive the Head Gasket Swap so I need to get a new one installed on Monday. The factory temp gauge is working, and I carry a hand held Temp Gun as well.

Bottom line, Droopy got Balls!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online