Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Droopy Update,

After putting about 450 miles on it, Keeping an eye on a small injector pump leak, the small leak decided to be a big leak.

So now the truck is parked back in the garage, Big ED is back out on the road for a few more days.

The pump needs to be resealed, especially since this will be the second leak that i have had to fix on it. So I stopped in at Diesel Injection Service to see what a reseal would cost,..$420.00!. That is not a Rebuild, just a Reseal,..and I know what would happen they would take it apart, and decided it needed a rebuild and would double the price.

The day before the leak took off like gangbusters, I missed a New Bosch Pump on ebay, it ended at about $420.00. So I kept looking around for a used one, or a better than an $800.00 new/rebuilt one, to no avail.

So Thursday I sent an email to the E-Bay seller of the new Bosch Pump saying that if he had any problem with the purchaser, let me know because I would buy it. 2 minutes later I got an email back from him that said,.."I have another one". I sent him my phone number and he called me, He ad 4, sold 2 locally, one on E-bay and had one left... I said How Much,...$450.00 shipped.;Sweet

So it will be her on Monday and ill get it installed and hope to be back on the road by Tuesday.

Other Items I am looking into are, Install a Diesel battery Tray on the drivers side and relocate my extra group 31 battery from the Tool Box in the back to the stock "diesel" Location. Then buy a new battery for the Passenger Side. Then I can run a stock Ford Diesel Positive Battery Cable, and watch that little 4cyl jump out of the frame rails when I hit the key!:eek: I want NO starting problems with this truck.

I got my Dakota Tach Controller Box in the mail this week so I need to get that installed to get the Tach working.

Then drop the fuel tank to fix a leak at the sender unit, Then I can fill it the tank up again and start checking fuel mileage.

Still have not had to plow,...yet,..;Sweet

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Good Thing you didn't have the 10" storm we had here the end of last month then huh Darrin....????

I plowed from 7pm til 4pm the next afternoon.... $$$$$$$$$$$...........

Congrats... Looks Great. I missed this whole build cause I was hauling seed corn....

Might be in GR on Friday morning.

Going to Am-Dyn-Ic Fluid Power for a PTO and a high pressure hydraulic pump for my walking floor. Then to White Cloud to pick up a hydraulic tank -(maybe).. Hopefully the guy will bring it to us in GR.... May try and look ya up while we are in town....

Talk to ya later!

Hoss.... (Ike).... ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Good Thing you didn't have the 10" storm we had here the end of last month then huh Darrin....????

I plowed from 7pm til 4pm the next afternoon.... $$$$$$$$$$$...........

Congrats... Looks Great. I missed this whole build cause I was hauling seed corn....

Might be in GR on Friday morning.

Going to Am-Dyn-Ic Fluid Power for a PTO and a high pressure hydraulic pump for my walking floor. Then to White Cloud to pick up a hydraulic tank -(maybe).. Hopefully the guy will bring it to us in GR.... May try and look ya up while we are in town....

Talk to ya later!

Hoss.... (Ike).... ;Sweet

Sounds good Hoss, Keep me posted, I am pretty flexible on my schedule so let me know what works for you. Hope it works out!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I got it all hooked up, and the lines are bled, tightened down the injector lines at the injectors expecting it to fire up,..but I got nothing. I have cranked it for a bout 30 seconds, 5 or 6 times, letting it rest for a couple of minutes in between. Now I am charging up the batteries and will try again later, Just have to walk away from it for a while,..

Here is what I did to the pump.

Added the fuel pin.
Added the 3200 gov spring
turned down the star wheel one full turn.
fuel screw is in maybe one turn
The timing is advanced about a little.

,..Any input,..?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So far still not starting, When I crack the injector lines at the injector, and crank it, I have a lot of flow of diesel, but no real pressure. It is supposed to SPRAY out, but it is just seem to be a volume, not pressure.

It will fire on starting fluid.

Done working on it for tonight, gotta walk away before I break something,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So far I have not been able to get it started,..My buddy is coming over tonight, he is a Diesel Mechanic to help me out with it.

So I needed a break from tryig to get it running so I decided to get the rear transfer tank done today.

The front tank feeds the 4bt from the lift pump on the motor, no electronics, or switchers involved, so I am going to use the rear tank as a transfer tank using the stock in tank electric pump. The tank is already plumed into the front filler neck, that was done a while ago.

So today I had to modify the Gas Filler Neck to accept diesel, Since I wasn't crazy about taking it out and replacing it, figured out a way to do it in the truck.

Here is the stock Gasser fuel neck:

You must be registered for see images

I took a 1/2 of a shop rag and shoved it down the filler neck with a screwdriver, This will catch the shrapnal so it wont drop in the tank.

Then I took this air grinder with a gnarly bit on it and started grinding out what was not needed:

Here is what it looked like after about 2 minutes of grinding:

Then took a shop vac and sucked out all of the shrapnel:

The finished product, Plenty of room for a Diesel pump:

Oh, dont forget to get the 1/2 of shop rag out of the Shop Vac,.LOL

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Now on to wiring.

I just took the brown, white wire out of the tank switcher, that feeds the rear pimp, hooked it up to the toggle switch and hit it with 12V. Then added a LED to light up when the system is on:

Here is the switch and led installed in the Tank Switcher panel.

Switch on, light on,.

And filling up the front tank,..;Sweet

Pretty easy to do and WOW does that pump have some volume!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ok,..My buddy Rick came and checked out the truck tonight, After about an hour going over what I have been doing for the last 2 days, he confirmed that there is something wrong with the pump. It has to do with the timing inside the head, or how it was configured from the factory.

So I shot off an email to the seller, he called me within 30 minutes, He said send him the pump back, and they will check it out, fix it and get it back to me, or send me a new one. This was purchase outside of ebay so I have no recourse so I appreciated his quick call back, and his promise of making it right. He said if he cant fix it he would send me a new one.

So I'll be pulling the pump off tomorrow and sending it out to him.

One good thing, is that we have yet to have any major snow!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
:frustrate

I think I found the problem,....When installing the governor spring, I back out the fuel screw most of the way to take the tension off of the Governor spring, That way when you take the top of the pump off, parts wont go flying around.

So I removed the pump and set it on the bench and was draining it getting it ready to ship, I look down and saw that I never screwed the fuel screw back in! :idiot: Just one of those ******** moments,...

Now I am going to reinstall it and see if that works...

The good news is I may not have to ship it back and wait a few more days go get it on the road.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
D'oh! is right!

IT RUNS! that was the problem,.got the pump installed, bled out the lines. While I was bleeding out the lines the fuel was popping over my head!. Tightened down the lines, cranked it over and it fired up like the pump was never off there!

Now I can get it back on the road!